Calculating Mass of a Long Thin Rod

• Thread starter juggalomike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Rod
In summary, we are given a long thin rod with a varying mass per unit length along the x-axis. The equation for the mass per unit length is l = l0(1+1.110x^2) and the value of l0 is 0.500 kg/m. We need to solve for the x-coordinate of the center of mass of the rod by integrating over the entire length of the rod and dividing by the total mass. After solving, the x-coordinate is found to be 0.360 m.
juggalomike

Homework Statement

A long thin rod lies along the x-axis from the origin to x=L, with L= 0.750 m. The mass per unit length, l (in kg/m) varies according to the equation l = l0 (1+1.110x2). The value of l0 is 0.500 kg/m and x is in meters.

Homework Equations

stated in equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lost on this question, i tried plugging the given numbers into the above equation, but my answer is not right(and tbh that seemed entirely to easy)

so i know .50*(1+1.110*.750^2) is not right, but other then that i am stuck, any help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to integrate over the entire length of the rod.

alright i solved for the mass and got .453 kg, which is correct.

Now i need to figure out

Calculate the x-coordinate of the center of mass of the rod.
A=

I tried integrating x*m then dividing by m, but that didnt work

Related to Calculating Mass of a Long Thin Rod

1. How do you calculate the mass of a long thin rod?

To calculate the mass of a long thin rod, you need to know its length, cross-sectional area, and density. The formula for calculating mass is mass = density x volume. In the case of a long thin rod, the volume can be calculated as length x cross-sectional area.

2. What units should be used for calculating the mass of a long thin rod?

The units for density should be in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3), length should be in meters (m), and cross-sectional area should be in square meters (m^2). This will result in the mass being calculated in kilograms (kg).

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass remains constant regardless of location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. Can the mass of a long thin rod be calculated if the density is unknown?

No, the mass of a long thin rod cannot be accurately calculated if the density is unknown. The density of an object is a crucial factor in determining its mass, so it is necessary to know the density in order to calculate the mass accurately.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the accuracy of calculating the mass of a long thin rod?

Yes, there are other factors that could affect the accuracy of calculating the mass of a long thin rod. These include measurement errors in determining the length and cross-sectional area, variations in density within the rod, and external forces acting on the rod (such as air resistance) that could affect its weight.