Calculating Miller Index from Bragg Angle and Lattice Constant

• Thread starter Petit Einstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index
In summary, the Miller index can be calculated by using the Bragg angle and the lattice constant of a material. The plane spacing, d, can be found using the Bragg equation and then the Miller indices can be calculated using the formula d = a/sqrt(h^2 + k^2 + l^2). Different planes with the same family can have equivalent distances and in cubic materials, all of these planes are the same. In tetragonal materials, not all axes are the same so there may not be as many equivalent planes. To calculate the Miller index, it is important to know the correct units for the values given, such as degrees for the Bragg angle and picometers for the lattice constant.
Petit Einstein
How we can calculate the Miller's index? :smile:
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
http://onsager.bd.psu.edu/~jircitano/Miller.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i know about this, but i want ask u: what is the different between (102) et (012)? how to obtain(102) ?are there the methode to take this?Thank.

It's a convention. There is something about the four different delimiters: (),[],{}, and <>. When you surround the numbers with (), then (102) is the same as (012), unless you are worried about the orientation. For the orientation's sake, you should have a right-handed permutation (conventionally) or you should specify.

If I remember the conventions correctly {xyz} refers to the familiy of planes with indices x,y,z. (x,y,z) refers to the specific plane.

Similarly [] and <> are for a line and a family of lines.

If you have a polycrystalline material, you don't really care about a specific plane, and only wish to specify the family (this specifies plane spacing, and hence diffraction angles, etc.). However, for a single crystal, the specific plane within a family could be important.

turin said:
It's a convention. There is something about the four different delimiters: (),[],{}, and <>. When you surround the numbers with (), then (102) is the same as (012), unless you are worried about the orientation. For the orientation's sake, you should have a right-handed permutation (conventionally) or you should specify.

So we can not calculate directly all this index?
In Bragg relation, if we know the angle incident, so we can calculat the distance inter_reticular, suppose that we know about wave lenght.From heer, do we can calculate the Miller index? if yes , how to do?
Thank for respons.

I don't think you can do it at just one orientation. I think you have to probe (in principle) all angles of incidence from all directions to extract the orientation of the lattice in the laboratory. I haven't really worked formally with this stuff in the lab though.

From the Bragg angle and the wavelength, you can get the inter-plane spacing, d.

[tex]n \lambda = 2d sin \theta~~ [/tex]

From the value of d, and the knowledge of the material (which tells you the lattice parameter, a) you can calculate the Miller Indices of the reflecting planes

[tex] d = \frac {a} {\sqrt{h^2+k^2+l^2}} [/tex]

Gokul43201 said:
From the Bragg angle and the wavelength, you can get the inter-plane spacing, d.

[tex]n \lambda = 2d sin \theta~~ [/tex]

From the value of d, and the knowledge of the material (which tells you the lattice parameter, a) you can calculate the Miller Indices of the reflecting planes

[tex] d = \frac {a} {\sqrt{h^2+k^2+l^2}} [/tex]

Ok i agree with u about this, but for exemple, the value of
{h^2+k^2+l^2} is equal to 8 so we will get the Miller index for example:
h=2; k=2 and l=0 or we write (220). if we want get (202) or (022) , are there possible?
Thank for your response.

(020) and (022) are different planes of the same family
{220} = (220),(202),(022),(-220),(2-20),(-202),(20-2),(-2-20),(-20-2),(-20-2) etc...

Like I said before, the plane spacing only specifies the family, not a particular plane. So you should really be talking about the family of planes {220} which Dr Transport has listed above.

PS : Dr Transport - there's an error in your first line. Perhaps you meant to write (220) instead of (020) ?

Dr Transport said:
(020) and (022) are different planes of the same family
{220} = (220),(202),(022),(-220),(2-20),(-202),(20-2),(-2-20),(-20-2),(-20-2) etc...

yes i understand here, but how to obtain:
{220} = (220),(202),(022),(-220),(2-20),(-202),(20-2),(-2-20),(-20-2),(-20-2) etc.?with the calculat?

each has an equivalent distance d, in a cubic material all of these are the same plane. In a tetragonal material, there would not be as many equivalent planes because different axes are not the same.

if i have: (degré) a (pm)
11,6 665,4
13,5 661,8
19,6 651,3
23,9 660,5
28,4 649,7
and wave lengh = 154,5pm .
How we can calculat the Miller index?
Thak for the friend who will want give me the respons.

Could you clarify what those numbers are, and what is pm ? Is it picometer (10^-12 m) ?

Petit Einstein said:
Ok i agree with u about this, but for exemple, the value of
{h^2+k^2+l^2} is equal to 8 so we will get the Miller index for example:
h=2; k=2 and l=0 or we write (220). if we want get (202) or (022) , are there possible?
Thank for your response.

Now I have one question to ask u:
for example, I have the value of Bragg angle and of latice constant:
(degré) a (pm)
11,6 665,4
13,5 661,8
19,6 651,3
23,9 660,5
28,4 649,7
and i have the vawe lengh used = 154,5pm.
How can we calculat the Miller index?
Thank for the response to me.

1. What is Miller's Index?

Miller's Index is a notation system used to describe the crystallographic planes and directions in a crystal lattice. It was developed by William Hallowes Miller in 1839.

2. How is Miller's Index calculated?

Miller's Index is calculated by finding the intercepts of a plane on the crystallographic axes and converting them into fractions with common denominators. This notation system uses three integers written as [hkl] where h, k, and l represent the intercepts along the x, y, and z axes, respectively.

3. What is the significance of Miller's Index?

Miller's Index is significant because it provides a standardized way of describing crystallographic planes and directions in different crystal structures. It allows scientists to easily communicate and compare information about crystal structures and their properties.

4. How is Miller's Index used in crystallography?

Miller's Index is used in crystallography to identify and describe the orientation of crystal planes and directions within a crystal structure. It is also used to calculate the spacing between crystal planes, which is important for understanding the diffraction patterns produced by crystals.

5. Are there any limitations to Miller's Index?

One limitation of Miller's Index is that it is based on a Cartesian coordinate system, which is not always the most appropriate coordinate system for describing crystal structures. Additionally, Miller's Index does not take into account the actual atomic arrangement within a crystal, which can affect the properties of the material. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other crystallographic methods for a more comprehensive understanding of crystal structures.