Calculating Net External Force in a Two-Body System with Gravity

In summary, a 2.6kg mass is on a frictionless table, with a 4.1kg mass hanging off the edge. The two masses are under the influence of gravity with an acceleration of 9.8m/s^2. The magnitude of the net external force acting on the masses can be found by using a diagram and equations for each mass, and solving for tension.
missyjane
Mass of 2.6kg lies on a frictionless table, pulled by another mass of 4.1kg under the influence of gravity (mass 4.1kg is hanging off the edge of the table). The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2. What is the magnitude of the net external force (gravitational) acting on the two masses?

I thought I'd get the answer by using F=g(m1)(m2), but that was wrong. I don't know where to go from here. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a diagram first, develop and equation for each of the masses. Solve for Tension on the second mass and plug it into first equation. From there solve for g.

I figured out that the tension of the hanging force is 40.18 and the tension of the rope is 15.592...where do I go from here?

Related to Calculating Net External Force in a Two-Body System with Gravity

What is net external force and why is it important?

Net external force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. It is important because it determines the motion of an object according to Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net external force acting on it.

How do you calculate net external force?

To calculate net external force, you must first identify all the individual forces acting on an object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, use vector addition to find the sum of all the forces, taking into account their directions. The resulting vector is the net external force acting on the object.

What are some common examples of net external force?

Some common examples of net external force include pushing or pulling an object, gravity acting on an object, frictional forces, and tension in a rope or string. In everyday life, we encounter net external forces in activities such as driving a car, throwing a ball, or walking up a flight of stairs.

Can net external force be zero?

Yes, net external force can be zero if all the individual forces acting on an object cancel each other out. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity, as there is no resulting force to cause acceleration.

What factors can affect the net external force acting on an object?

The net external force acting on an object can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the magnitude and direction of individual forces, and the surface or medium the object is moving through. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in determining the net external force.