Calculating Net Torque on a Circle: 4.0cm Diameter, 20N and 30N Forces

In summary, a question was posted about finding the net torque on a circle with a 4.0cm diameter, where there is a force of 20 N pulling downwards on the left and 30N on the right. The correct answer is -0.2 N m, but the book may have mistakenly written -20 N m due to confusion between cm and m. It is recommended to sum the individual torques instead of calculating them individually.
bigsaucy
Hello all, I am new to the forum so excuse any errors in my posting format

The question is as follows:

There is a circle with a 4.0cm diameter. There is a force of 20 N pulling downwards on the left of the circle and on the right of the circle there is a force pulling down at 30N. The question is to find the net torque about the axle.

I reasoned that the net force acting would be 10N on the right hand side of the circle so therefore using the equation

T = rF

T = (0.02m)(10N) = 0.2 N m

which i converted to -0.2 N m because it is acting clockwise the back of the book however says that the answer is -20 N m

PLEASE HELP, THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hello bigsaucy! welcome to pf! :wink:

your reasoning and answer are correct :smile:

the book must have got confused between cm and m :rolleyes:

Looks like a book error, your answer is correct, the net torque is (- 0.2 N-m) or (- 20 N-cm).

However, although your answer is correct, do not calculate net torques in the manner you have done. Sum torques individually, that is, net torque = 20(0.02) -30(0.02) = - 0.2 N-m.

thanks guys, you lot are great!

and phantom, thanks for the advise, ill be sure to follow your format from now on. thanks heaps!

1. What is torque engineering?

Torque engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the measurement, calculation, and control of torque, which is the rotational force applied to an object. It is an essential concept in mechanical engineering, as it helps to understand and design systems that involve rotational motion.

2. Why is torque engineering important?

Torque engineering is important because it helps to ensure the safe and efficient operation of machinery and equipment that involve rotational motion. It also allows engineers to design systems with the appropriate amount of torque for specific applications, preventing equipment failure and potential hazards.

3. How is torque measured?

Torque is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as newton-meters or pound-feet. It can be measured using torque wrenches, dynamometers, strain gauges, or other specialized equipment.

4. What factors affect torque?

The amount of torque applied to an object depends on several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied. The type of material and the surface conditions of the objects in contact can also affect torque.

5. How can I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation. Keep in mind that the units for force and distance must be consistent, such as newtons and meters or pounds and inches.