How to Calculate Net Torque on a Beam about Different Axes

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net torque on a beam in a figure, given its length and axis of rotation. The torque is measured in N*m and is counterclockwise around Point O and Point C, perpendicular to the page.
sarahjt1

Homework Statement

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/sjthompson/Desktop/p8-3.gif

Don't know if the image worked. I think if you copy and paste it into browser it might work.

Calculate the net torque (mag and direction) on the beam in the figure below about the following axes. Beam has length 4m, so r=2m

a) an axis through Point O, perpendicular to the page.

________ N*m counterclockwise

b) Through Point C, perpendicular to page

________ N*m counterclockwise

Physics news on Phys.org
sarahjt1 said:
Don't know if the image worked. I think if you copy and paste it into browser it might work.
No, since it references a file on your PC, which we don't have access to. You have to upload the image as an attachment or put it on some image hosting site.

well i can't c anything recommend you some site such as flickr, photobucket, and others
all are nice well renowned photo hosting site or you also can upload to the forum as attachment

1. How do I calculate net torque?

To calculate net torque, you need to find the product of the force applied and the distance from the pivot point. This can be represented by the equation T = F x r, where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the distance from the pivot point.

2. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system or pound-feet (lb-ft) in the imperial system.

3. How do I account for multiple forces when calculating net torque?

To account for multiple forces, you need to find the individual torques for each force and then add them together to find the net torque. Make sure to consider both the magnitude and direction of each force.

4. Can net torque be negative?

Yes, net torque can be negative. This means that there is a clockwise rotation, as opposed to a counterclockwise rotation which would result in a positive net torque. The direction of the rotation is dependent on the direction of the applied forces.

5. What factors can affect the calculation of net torque?

The calculation of net torque can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, as well as the distance from the pivot point. Additionally, the placement and orientation of the object being rotated can also impact the net torque calculation.