1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Pin Friction

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to determine the friction of a pin joint that will be loaded differently depending on the position of the linkage.

2. Relevant equations

I know the equation for frictional force is F="mu"*N, where "mu" is either the coefficient of static or kinetic friction depending on if the surface is in motion, but I'm not sure how to apply that to a pin joint.

3. The attempt at a solution

Im assuming the pin to be "loose fitting" so that friction will be basically limited to a point on the surface. And if I know the force applied to the joint, can I just take that force as N in the equation and and find the appropriate "mu" to solve for the frictional force? I'm just looking for a decent approximation for the friction.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2
    Since there have been no respones, should I assume that my logic is reasonable? Or just nobody has a decent idea about it either?
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3
    Only in 1st year, but that logic sounds right based on my lecture notes

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4
    Thanks.

I'm really just looking for a rough estimate of friction, but I was mainly looking for input just to make sure I wasn't overlooking something too major.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook