1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating pipe diameter for half-flow condition/mannings equation

1. May 29, 2014 #1
    Hello,

My knowledge on fluid mechanics is on a introductory level. When explaining, it would be great if you could explain in simple English and also like teaching to a student who isn't very good at the subject area!
    I've been reading a lecture slide and have been trying to follow the example to solve my given problem. I don't really understand how the lecturer got certain parts of the solution though (equation hasn't been explained/defined on any of the slides). I don't understand how the lecturer found the diameter or the suitable velocity is for half-flow.

EDIT: The question doesn't require me to find whether the calculated velocity is suitable, but I would like to know how you do find it.

I have attached the slide that I'm using as an example below.

I used A = pi*D^2/8 and P = pi*D/2 as my problem is for half flow condition.

What is wrong? How do I do this correctly?

Thank you for reading. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If water flows from Point D at Kinglake to Point E at Sugarloaf in a lined circular channel laid on a slope of 0.001. If Manning’s n = 0.013 and if the design discharge is 0.07 m^3/s, what diameter channel should be designed for a half-flow condition? What will be the mean velocity in the channel for this condition?

Manning’s n = 0.013
    Slope = 0.001
    Q, Discharge = 0.03m^3/s

Find diameter of channel for half flow condition.
    Find mean velocity of channel in half flow condition.

2. Relevant equations

Mannings equation:

2%7D.gif
    gif.gif
    gif.gif
    gif.gif
    gif.gif
    gif.gif

Velocity equation:

gif.gif
    gif.gif
    s.gif
    s.gif
    gif.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

2%7D.gif
    2pq3qlc.gif
    abl9oi.gif
    A = pi*D^2/8 and P = pi*D/2
    Diamter, D = 0.53m^(8/3)

How do I find the diameter required for the channel from this? Is this (above) the diameter? I don't understand on the attachment below, how 0.52m^(8/3) becomes a diameter of 1.21 metres?

------

gif.gif
    V = 0.07m^3/s/((pi*(0.53)^2)/8) = 0.634 m/s

How do I find whether the velocity I calculated is suitable?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2014 #2
    You can't change the formula for the perimeter and/or area of a circle. If you want a half flow condition than divide the flow by 2.

4. May 30, 2014 #3
    Ok thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted