1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Potential Difference

1. May 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two capacitors ##C_1## and ##C_2## (where ##C_1 > C_2##) are charged to the same initial potential difference ##ΔV_i##, but with opposite polarity. The charged capacitors are removed from the battery, and their plates are connected as shown in Figure a. The switches ##S_1## and ##S_2## are then closed, as shown in Figure b. Find the final potential difference ##V_f## between a and b after the switches are closed

Capture.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to understand, How polarity of charges changed for ##C_2## when switches ##S_1## and ##S_2## are closed. How left plate of ##C_2## acquires positive charge and right plate negative charge. In which direction electrons flows, from which plate to which plate. Please explain..

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2014 #2
    The bottom right plate attracts electrons from top right plate .The electrons flow from top right plate to the bottom right plate which in turn repel electrons from bottom left plate to top left plate .

4. May 7, 2014 #3
    I didn't understand :confused:

5. May 7, 2014 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

What Vibhor means is that the right plate of ## C_1## initially has a surplus of ##e^-##, and the right plate of ##C_2## is lacking in ##e^-##, if you look this up, the will talk about electron "holes" which causes the positive charge. Use the sea of electrons model of current to determine what happens.

6. May 7, 2014 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Also, make sure to keep track of the Voltages of your system the whole time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted