Calculating power from a prescribed rotation

In summary, the conversation is about calculating power in a gyroscopic device that is influenced by precession and rotation. The question is how to calculate power when only one of the variables (angular velocity or moment) is known. The concept of energy conservation is also mentioned, along with the importance of time in determining the necessary power and cost of an engine.
JTC
Hi,

Forgive me for this trivial question. I am confused.

Let's say I have a gyroscopic device in which the rotor is set to spin at a prescribed angular velocity.
Next, put it on an ocean surface in which the ocean waves induce a precession.
These two rotations, then induce a moment (induce a nutation), M (I name this torque, because my question is about this).

Power is the angular velocity times the moment.

Now suppose I set up the equations -- and input the precession and spin -- and get a system in which I compute the angular velocity corresponding to the nutation.

So how do engineers calculate power. It seems I can calculate the induced angular velocity or the induced angular moment (one or the other), but now do we calculate the power: I have one or the other, but not both.

In other words, in my naive understanding, I can generate an angular velocity. If I restrain the angular velocity, I can get an induced moment. But if it is free to rotate, how does one compute the power?

I must be missing a big step.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JTC said:
Power is the angular velocity times the moment.
A system will have an initial total energy that is distributed amongst potential and kinetic state variables. Changes to the system over time will result in energy flowing between the state variables of the system. You must account for the total energy because energy is conserved. Time is not important to the double entry book keeping.

Power is fundamentally the rate of flow of energy. Time is then important because there must be an “engine” that converts or transfers energy between state variables. You must install an engine with a sufficient power rating to handle the required maximum energy flow. The cost of an engine is usually proportional to power, but you only have to install and pay for the engine once.

Power is not conserved. You must pay for the energy you use, not for the power.

What is "Calculating power from a prescribed rotation"?

"Calculating power from a prescribed rotation" is a scientific method used to determine the amount of power generated from a specific rotation or angular movement. This can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics to measure the efficiency and performance of machines, systems, and human movements.

How is power calculated from a prescribed rotation?

To calculate power from a prescribed rotation, the formula P = τω is used, where P represents power, τ represents torque, and ω represents angular velocity. Torque is the rotational force applied, while angular velocity is the rate of change of the rotational angle. By multiplying torque and angular velocity, the resulting value will be the power generated.

What are the units of measurement for power and rotation?

The units of measurement for power are typically watts (W) or horsepower (hp), while the units for rotation are usually degrees (°) or radians (rad), depending on the system of measurement being used. It is important to ensure that the units of torque and angular velocity are consistent when calculating power.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating power from a prescribed rotation?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating power from a prescribed rotation include friction, air resistance, and the efficiency of the system being measured. In human movement, factors such as body position, muscle recruitment, and technique can also impact the accuracy of power calculations.

How is "Calculating power from a prescribed rotation" useful in scientific research?

Calculating power from a prescribed rotation is useful in scientific research as it allows for the quantification and comparison of power generation in various systems and movements. This can provide valuable insights into the efficiency and performance of machines, systems, and human movements, and can aid in the development of more efficient and effective technologies and techniques.