Calculating Retained Potential Energy of a Bouncing Ball | Homework Help

In summary, the question posed is how much of the potential energy, in joules, is retained after the first bounce on the carpet if a 500g ball is dropped from a height of 1.5m. The relevant equations for this problem are Eg = mgh, Ek = 1/2mv^2, and v = (2gh)^-2. However, without knowing the height attained after the first bounce, it is not possible to accurately calculate the retained energy. It is also unclear if the ball bounces elastically or not, which would affect the calculation.
NineTHOUSAND

Homework Statement

If the ball is dropped from a height of 1.5 m, how much of the potential energy, in joules, is retained
after the first bounce on the carpet?
the mass of the ball is 500g

Homework Equations

Eg = mgh
Ek = 1/2mv2
v = (2gh)-2

i think that all i need

The Attempt at a Solution

Ek which is (.5kg)(9.8)(1.5M) So the EK energy exerted is 7.5J? but my teachers answer says its 4.9 :( I am so confused help

Physics news on Phys.org
NineTHOUSAND said:

Homework Statement

If the ball is dropped from a height of 1.5 m, how much of the potential energy, in joules, is retained
after the first bounce on the carpet?
the mass of the ball is 500g

Homework Equations

Eg = mgh
Ek = 1/2mv2
v = (2gh)-2

i think that all i need

The Attempt at a Solution

Ek which is (.5kg)(9.8)(1.5M) So the EK energy exerted is 7.5J? but my teachers answer says its 4.9 :( I am so confused help

It drops from 1.5m. But how high does it bounce? Isn't the height attained after the first bounce the height you need to answer the question?

it bounces elastically?
i think some info is missing...

1. How does the height of a bouncing ball change over time?

The height of a bouncing ball changes over time due to the force of gravity and the elasticity of the ball. As the ball is dropped, it accelerates towards the ground due to gravity. When it hits the ground, it compresses and then bounces back up. The height of the ball decreases with each bounce due to energy dissipation, until eventually it stops bouncing.

2. What factors affect the height of a bouncing ball?

The height of a bouncing ball is affected by the initial height from which it is dropped, the mass and elasticity of the ball, the surface it bounces on, and air resistance. A higher initial height will result in a higher bounce, while a heavier and more elastic ball will also bounce higher. A softer surface and less air resistance can also contribute to a higher bounce.

3. How does the temperature affect the bounce of a ball?

The temperature can affect the bounce of a ball in a few different ways. A colder temperature can make a ball more brittle and less elastic, causing it to bounce lower. On the other hand, a warmer temperature can make a ball more elastic and bouncier. Additionally, air pressure can also be affected by temperature, which can impact the bounce of a ball.

4. Can the angle at which a ball is dropped affect its bounce height?

Yes, the angle at which a ball is dropped can affect its bounce height. When dropped at an angle, the ball will have a horizontal and vertical component of velocity. This can result in the ball bouncing in a different direction or with a different height compared to when it is dropped vertically.

5. How does the surface affect the bounce of a ball?

The surface on which a ball bounces can affect its bounce height and speed. A harder and smoother surface will result in a higher bounce compared to a softer and rougher surface. This is because the harder surface allows for more energy transfer and less energy dissipation during the bounce. The angle of the surface can also affect the direction of the bounce.