Calculating Revolutions Per Minute of a Ball

In summary, to find the frequency in revolutions per minute that a ball on a string in a horizontal circle of radius 1.0 m must make to have the same magnitude of acceleration towards the center as the acceleration due to gravity, we can use the equation a=v^2/R and V={omega}R, with {omega}=2pi*f. We can set the acceleration due to gravity equal to the centripetal acceleration, and solve for v, which comes out to be 3.13 m/s. From there, we can use the equation f={omega}/(2pi) to find the frequency, which comes out to be 0.498 Hz. However, this is not the answer in rev/min that the
Kajayacht

Homework Statement

A boy whirls a ball on a string in a horizontal circle of radius 1.0 m. How many revolutions per minute must the ball make if its acceleration towards the center of the circle is to have the same magnitude as the acceleration due to gravity?

Homework Equations

a=v^2/R
V={omega}R
{omega}=2pi*f

The Attempt at a Solution

9.8/1= v^2
v= 3.13

{omega}=v/R=3.13
f=3.13/2pi
f= 4.92

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kajayacht,

Kajayacht said:

Homework Statement

A boy whirls a ball on a string in a horizontal circle of radius 1.0 m. How many revolutions per minute must the ball make if its acceleration towards the center of the circle is to have the same magnitude as the acceleration due to gravity?

Homework Equations

a=v^2/R
V={omega}R
{omega}=2pi*f

The Attempt at a Solution

9.8/1= v^2

This gives the right answer for v (since R=1), but of course from your equation above it needs to be v^2 = a R ( not divided by R).

v= 3.13

{omega}=v/R=3.13
f=3.13/2pi
f= 4.92

I think you probably have some calculator problems here. The numerator is about 3, and the denominator is about 6, so your answer should be around 1/2.

It looks like you calculated 3.13 / 2 * pi. If you type it in like that without parenthesis around the 2pi it multiplies by pi instead of dividing by pi. (So you might try entering 3.13/(2pi), for example.)

Also, you forgot to list your units for f. What are they?

Ahh wow yes of course
well now I got .498 rev/min but it's still saying that I'm wrong

it also says "Consider the acceleration due to circular motion."

Kajayacht said:
Ahh wow yes of course
well now I got .498 rev/min but it's still saying that I'm wrong

it also says "Consider the acceleration due to circular motion."

They are asking for the frequency in rev/min, but I don't think you yet have those units. What units is the answer 0.498 in? (Look back at the quantities you put into the problem, and see which one has a time unit with it.)

1. How do you calculate the revolutions per minute of a ball?

To calculate the revolutions per minute (RPM) of a ball, you need to measure the time it takes for the ball to make one full rotation and then use the formula RPM = 60/Time. For example, if a ball takes 2 seconds to make one full rotation, the RPM would be 60/2 = 30.

2. What is the formula for calculating RPM?

The formula for calculating RPM is RPM = 60/Time, where Time is the time it takes for the object to make one full rotation.

3. Can RPM be converted to other units?

Yes, RPM can be converted to radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per hour (RPH) using conversion factors. For example, to convert RPM to rad/s, you would multiply the RPM value by 2π/60. To convert RPM to RPH, you would multiply the RPM value by 60.

4. How do you measure the time it takes for a ball to make one full rotation?

The time it takes for a ball to make one full rotation can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. Start the stopwatch as soon as the ball begins to rotate and stop it when the ball completes one full rotation. Repeat this process a few times and calculate the average time for better accuracy.

5. What factors can affect the RPM of a ball?

The RPM of a ball can be affected by various factors such as the size and weight of the ball, the surface it is rolling on, the force applied to the ball, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. These factors can either increase or decrease the RPM of the ball.