Calculating Slit Width from Monochromatic Light Diffraction | 616nm Wavelength

• Thread starter inflames829
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
By using the correct distance, the width of the slit can be calculated as 3.46 mm.In summary, the width of a slit is being calculated using the formula lambda = y x w / L, where L is the distance to the screen, y is the distance between the central maximum and the second diffraction minimum, and w is the width of the slit. The question provides a distance of 1.8cm, and by using this distance, the calculated width of the slit is 3.46 mm. However, the initial attempt at solving the problem used the incorrect distance, resulting in an incorrect answer.
inflames829

Homework Statement

monochromatic light of wavelength 616nm is incident on a narrow slit. On a screen 1.7m away, the distance between the second diffraction minimum and the central maximum is 1.8cm. What is the width of the slit in mm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the question i use the formula lambda = y x w / L
where L is the length to screen, y is the distance between the middle of the bright spot and the first dark line and w is the slit width. I rearrange the equation to get w and then just pug in the values and I get w = lambda x L / Y and the answer i get is w = 616E-9 x 1.7 / 0.018 = 5.82E-5m, bbut this answer is incorrect, can someone please help me with whatim doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
The question gives the distance to the second minimum not the first.

?Your approach and equation are correct, but there seems to be a mistake in your calculation. The correct answer should be w = 616E-9 x 1.7 / 0.018 = 0.057mm. Make sure to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it is important to note that this calculation assumes that the slit is very narrow compared to the wavelength of light, so it may not be accurate for wider slits.

1. What is "Another light question"?

"Another light question" is a phrase used to refer to a question that is not overly complex or serious. It is often used in a casual or informal setting.

2. Why is it called "Another light question"?

The phrase "light question" is used to contrast with a "heavy question," which is typically more serious or thought-provoking. "Another" is added to imply that the question is not the first or only light question being asked.

3. Can you give an example of a "Another light question"?

Examples of "Another light questions" could include: "What did you have for breakfast today?" or "Do you have any plans for the weekend?" These types of questions are meant to be simple and easy to answer.

4. Is "Another light question" a scientific concept?

No, "Another light question" is not a scientific concept. It is simply a common phrase used in everyday conversations.

5. How do I come up with a "Another light question"?

There is no specific formula for coming up with "Another light questions." They are typically spontaneous and can be about any topic that is not too serious or complex. The key is to keep the question light and easy to answer.