Calculating Spring Stretch in a Horizontal Setup

In summary, a wood block attached to a horizontal spring is compressed by a force of 20.9 N, causing the spring to stretch by 17.2 cm. The equation for calculating the block's distance from equilibrium position includes the kinetic coefficient of friction and the mass of the block. After correcting for units, the correct equation to find the block's distance is D = x - (2Umg)/k.
whereisccguys
A 171 g wood block is firmly attached to a very light horizontal spring, as shown in the figure below.
The block can slide along a table where the coefficient of friction is 0.306. A force of 20.9 N compresses the spring 17.2 cm. If the spring is released from this position, how far beyond its equilibrium position will it stretch on its first swing?

i know the equation is suppose to be 1/2k(x^2-D^2)=(Uk)mg(x+D)
where D is the distance the block will travel...
and then set the equation equals to D = x - (2Ukmg)/D
i plug in all the numbers and i still get the wrong answer...
i think my K constant is wrong i thought it was just k = 20.9 N/.172 m = 121.51

btw my wrong answer is 8.7596 m

can someone help me?

Attachments

• dgian0834.gif
    dgian0834.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 722
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1/2k(x^2-D^2)=(Uk)mg(x+D)

Frictional force is Umg. Not Ukmg.

Also Check your calculations. There can not be a D in the denominator.

I am getting,

D = x - (2Umg)/k

I think he meams that Uk is the kinetic coeffiecient of friction (where the k is meant to be a subscript, not the spring constant).
but other than that, I got the same equation as gamma.

like gamma said, check your calculations, and also check your units: g -> kg, etc...

yea mathstudent is right i was talkin about kinetic coefficient and yea i accidently typed the wrong thing for the equation... mathstudent was right i forgot about the units... i used g instead of kg... thanks a lot guys!

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Spring Stretch in a Horizontal Setup

1. What is the spring and wood block problem?

The spring and wood block problem is a physics problem that involves a spring attached to a wall and a wooden block attached to the other end of the spring. The block is pulled back and released, causing the spring to stretch and the block to oscillate back and forth.

2. What are the key principles involved in solving the spring and wood block problem?

The key principles involved in solving the spring and wood block problem are Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed, and conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transferred or transformed.

3. How can Hooke's Law be used to calculate the force exerted by the spring in the spring and wood block problem?

Hooke's Law can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. By measuring the displacement of the spring and knowing its spring constant, the force exerted by the spring can be calculated.

4. What is the relationship between the frequency of oscillation and the spring constant in the spring and wood block problem?

The frequency of oscillation, or how many times the block goes back and forth in a given time period, is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the frequency of oscillation also increases.

5. How does the mass of the wooden block affect the oscillation in the spring and wood block problem?

The mass of the wooden block does not affect the frequency of oscillation in the spring and wood block problem, but it does affect the amplitude, or the maximum distance the block will move from its equilibrium position. A heavier block will have a larger amplitude than a lighter block, but the frequency will remain the same.