Calculating starting/tractive force

• Thread starter snwright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force needed to overcome the inertia of a 1500lb sliding door with 4 wheels, each with a coefficient of friction of .02. The goal is to make the door accelerate to .25m/s over a period of 4 seconds. The first calculation without friction is F=Ma = 6672 N * .0625m/s2 = 417 N = 93.74 lbs. However, to include the resistance due to friction, the formula becomes F = 0.02mg + ma = m (0.02g + a), resulting in a force of 176 N = 40 lb. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the distribution of the load
snwright
Hey all-

First post here!

I need to calculate the force required to overcome inertia of a 1500lb object. It's a sliding door, which rolls on 4 identical wheels, each with a coefficient of friction of .02. I'd like to make it accelerate to .25m/s over a period of 4 seconds.

I think what I need OMITTING FRICTION is: F=Ma = 6672 N * .0625m/s2 = 417 N = 93.74 lbs. Is that accurate? How do I include the resistance due to friction?

thanks!

Spencer

Engineering news on Phys.org
Resistance due to friction is weight of door times coefficient of friction. You need that much additional force. Be careful about how you consider the four wheels.

How should I be considering them? The load should be distributed pretty evenly across all four wheels. I was thinking that it would be a wash, and that the accumulated drag would be .02.

You need to add all the resistance forces to the inertia. The force needed would be:

F = 0.02mg + ma = m (0.02g + a)

g is 9.81 m/s² and the SI unit for m is kg not N (So 1500 lb is 680 kg). F = 176 N = 40 lb.

1. What is starting/tractive force?

Starting/tractive force refers to the amount of force required to move an object from a stationary position or to maintain its motion against resistance.

2. How is starting/tractive force calculated?

Starting/tractive force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is moving on by the weight of the object. This results in the maximum force required to overcome static friction and initiate motion.

3. What factors affect the starting/tractive force of an object?

The main factors that affect starting/tractive force include the weight of the object, the coefficient of friction between the object and its surface, and any additional external forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or incline of the surface.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the starting/tractive force of an object?

The angle of incline can significantly affect the starting/tractive force of an object. The steeper the incline, the greater the force required to overcome gravity and initiate motion. This is because the weight of the object is acting against the force of gravity, making it harder to move.

5. What units are used to measure starting/tractive force?

Starting/tractive force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system. However, other units such as dynes or poundals may also be used in certain contexts.