Calculating suction area around the intake of a jet engine

In summary: It is a turbocharged piston engine and the installation effects of the engine have been included in the design of the aircraft.In summary, an object that enters the engine suction hazard area would be ingested by the engine. Depending on the flight condition (e.g. speed, altitude, angle of attack), the object could be pulled in different directions. For example, an object thrown into the engine suction hazard area during a low speed climbout would be pulled in a different direction than an object thrown into the hazard area during a high speed flight.
stevero390
I am looking to calculate the area around the engine where, if an object enters this area, it would be "ingested" by the engine (subsonic flight).

In other words, I am looking to draw the shape around the engine, where the air within that shape is disturbed air (being ingested by the engine) and anything else would be ambient air.

Similar to this:
9sLYy.png

I understand that this area would be a function of aircraft speed, altitude and engine power. I have tried to calculate this myself (but have gotten stuck) by doing the following:

By using the mass flow rate provided by the engine manufacturer (e.g. at max. power) and the air density, I have calculated the volumetric flow rate that the engine would require. The volumetric flow rate the engine actually received is then calculated by using the aircraft speed and the air intake area.

From this, I understand that if the volumetric flow rate the engine actually receives is less than the flow rate the engine requires then the engine would be "getting" air from a larger area around it. Similar to the diagram below, showing the danger areas around the engine when stationary on the ground.

WxiHSpR.png

This area would be the case when the aircraft is stationary on the ground or flying slowly with high engine power (e.g. take-off/climb) - a semi-circular shape like in the image above. The diameter of this semi-circle can be calculated using the volumetric flow rate the engine "needs" together with the airspeed, giving you a diameter (which will be bigger than the fan diameter). This can then be used to draw the semicircular shape.

However, during high speed flight (say during cruise) with cruise engine power, I understand that the area in front of the engine will have the shape similar to a truncated cone (third pic in the first image).

I am struggling to think how this cone-like area around the engine can be calculated as I'm not sure how the same logic can be applied for the slow flight and high engine power scenario.

Thanks

Attachments

• 9sLYy.png
    9sLYy.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 2,034
  • WxiHSpR.png
    WxiHSpR.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 2,382
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not my area of expertise, but the combination of the engine and how it is installed in a particular airplane is included in the "installation effects" of the engine. As you have no doubt discovered, you can not consider only the engine data. The aerodynamics of the plane have to be considered and that varies with the flight condition (mach, altitude, angle of attack, angle of sideslip, roll rate, pitch rate), and engine mass air flow.

FactChecker said:
This is not my area of expertise, but the combination of the engine and how it is installed in a particular airplane is included in the "installation effects" of the engine. As you have no doubt discovered, you can not consider only the engine data. The aerodynamics of the plane have to be considered and that varies with the flight condition (mach, altitude, angle of attack, angle of sideslip, roll rate, pitch rate), and engine mass air flow.

I think straight and level flight would be assumed for the aircraft (for simplicity). So the main variables would be engine power, altitude and speed.

Your second diagram shows why jet aircraft cannot be used on gravel runways - the suction will suck stones into the engine. Next assume the same engine suction hazard area during climbout at low speed with maximum engine power, and an object (a bird) inside the suction hazard area, but slightly off to one side of the engine inlet. The suction will pull the object toward the inlet, but the object is subject to the suction for only a few milliseconds. That time can be calculated from the airspeed and the size of the suction hazard area. How far can the object be pulled sideways toward the inlet in the time available given the suction force on it? That also can be calculated from the sideways air velocity component, the size and mass of the object, and the drag coefficient of the object.

There is one exception to jets on gravel runways. The new Pilatus PC-24 is rated for gravel, grass, and snow covered runways.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the suction area around the intake of a jet engine?

The suction area around the intake of a jet engine is calculated to determine the amount of air that can be drawn into the engine, which is essential for proper combustion and engine performance.

2. How is the suction area calculated?

The suction area is calculated by measuring the total area of the intake and subtracting any obstructions or components, such as the engine core or bypass ducts, that may impede airflow.

3. What factors affect the calculation of the suction area?

The main factors that affect the calculation of the suction area are the size and shape of the intake, the design of the engine components, and the speed and altitude at which the engine will be operating.

4. Why is it important to accurately calculate the suction area?

The accurate calculation of the suction area is crucial for ensuring optimal engine performance and efficiency. If the suction area is too small, the engine may not receive enough air for proper combustion. If it is too large, it can cause air turbulence and decrease engine efficiency.

5. Can computer simulations be used to calculate the suction area?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to accurately calculate the suction area around the intake of a jet engine. These simulations take into account various factors and can provide precise results for different operating conditions.