Calculating Tangential and Angular Velocity?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the tangential velocity and angular velocity of the moon's orbit. It covers the definition of tangential velocity and some confusion about calculating angular velocity. The values given for the distance, period, and radii of the Earth and Moon are also mentioned. The conversation also includes a question about using 2*pi for calculating angular velocity and clarification about the use of '*' as a multiplication symbol.
Bananarama
Hello, I have been set a question for homework that ask's "calculate the tangential velocity (v) and the angular velocity (omega) of our moons orbit". The teacher has lead me to believe that tangential velocity is just regular velocity? is this correct?. I understand what angular velocity is, but i do not understand how to calculate it, using the values given. Any help, or some kind of starting point would be greatly appreciated.

We have been given the values of:
distance from Earth to Moon (centre - centre) = 3.844 E8 metres
Moon's Sidereal period = 27.322 days
Moon's synodic period = 29.53 days
Radius of Earth (Re) = 6.378 E6 metres
Radius of Moon (Rm) = 1.738 E6 metres
(I use E to represent X 10 to the power of)

I have attempted tp use omega = d(theta) / dt, which gave me a result of 152.502 E-6 rad/s. I used 360 as theta and 27.322 days as the time (2360620.8 seconds)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want an angular velocity in rad/sec, shouldn't you use total angle=2*pi, rather than 360 degrees? Or did you want it in degrees per second?

Oops, i forgot that it should be 2*pi.

I do need it in rad/sec. Because the formula i was going to use for tangential velocity is v = r*angular velocity ( I am not even sure if that formula is correct). But the angular velocity is measured in rad/sec.

What does the * mean?? I am doing that exact question and i don't understand a thing?? please help and when you say 2*pi does that mean 2 X 3.1415... which = 6.283... and X means multiplied??

Last edited:
Sammm#121212 said:
What does the * mean?? I am doing that exact question and i don't understand a thing?? please help and when you say 2*pi does that mean 2 X 3.1415... which = 6.283... and X means multiplied??

Sure '*' just means multiply.

What is tangential velocity?

Tangential velocity is the linear speed of an object as it moves along a circular path. It is the rate of change of the object's position on the circumference of the circle.

How is tangential velocity calculated?

Tangential velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled along the circumference of the circle (arc length) by the time it takes to travel that distance. It can also be calculated by multiplying the radius of the circle by the angular velocity.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position as it rotates around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second.

How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement (measured in radians) by the time it takes to make that change. It can also be calculated by dividing the tangential velocity by the radius of the circle.

What are some real-life applications of calculating tangential and angular velocity?

Calculating tangential and angular velocity is important in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used in designing and analyzing circular motion systems, such as roller coasters and car tires. It is also used in understanding the movement of celestial bodies and in developing devices such as gyroscopes and centrifuges.