Calculating Temperature at a distance from a fire.

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding information on the variation of temperature with altitude above a bushfire. The suggested search terms are 'thermal radiation' and 'natural convection'. However, due to the complexity of the physics involved, it is recommended to measure the temperature directly. A website is also provided as a starting point for estimating the temperature.
Hornet-Wing
Hi all, I have searched the internet for hours and have come up empty. Perhaps I'm just not entering the correct search terms. What I would like to work out is variation of temperature (in air) with altitude above the fire.

Details:
The fire is a bushfire (a quick search suggests a temperature of 1200C)
Atmosphere temperature being 25C
Altitude above fire 120m

Any ideas how I would go about this task? A rough temperature will be fine.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
You might try 'thermal radiation'

There should also be a significant amount of heat rising as a result of natural convection, even at 120 M. Look up natural convection from a horizontal surface.

This is one of those things that you just got to measure.

I'm with Khashishi on this one - there are too many variables, and the physics is too complex to get even a rough estimate.

Check out this web site: http://publications.solar-tower.org.uk/2002_Kroger-Convection%20Heat%20Transfer%20Between%20a%20Horizontal%20Surf.pdf

Convection heat transfer between a horizontal surface and the natural environment

This should give you a reasonable start with your estimate.

1. How is temperature calculated at a distance from a fire?

The temperature at a distance from a fire can be calculated using the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of heat is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the fire increases, the temperature decreases.

2. What is the formula for calculating temperature at a distance from a fire?

The formula for calculating temperature at a distance from a fire is T = Q / (4πr²σ), where T is the temperature, Q is the heat emitted by the fire, r is the distance from the fire, and σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.

3. Can the type of fuel or size of the fire affect the temperature at a distance?

Yes, the type of fuel and size of the fire can both affect the temperature at a distance. Different fuels have different heat intensities and produce varying amounts of heat. A larger fire will also emit more heat than a smaller fire, resulting in higher temperatures at a distance.

4. How does wind affect the calculation of temperature at a distance from a fire?

Wind can have a significant impact on the calculation of temperature at a distance from a fire. Wind can cause the heat to dissipate more quickly, resulting in lower temperatures at a distance. It can also increase the rate of combustion, leading to a larger fire and higher temperatures.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the calculation of temperature at a distance from a fire?

Yes, there are several other factors that can influence the calculation of temperature at a distance from a fire. These include the presence of barriers or obstacles that may block or reflect the heat, the angle at which the heat is emitted, and the duration of the fire.