Calculating Tension in a Pulley System on a Sloped Surface

In summary, the problem involves a pulley with a frictionless and massless string, where m2 is on a sloped hill and m1 is dangling from the pulley. Given the values of m2 = 90 kg, m1 = 2m2,  angle= 26o, and μk = 0.11, we are asked to determine the tension in the string. Using the equations Fg=mg, F=ma, and Fk=uk(Fn), we can find the net force for m2 to be 299.442N. Then, using a separate free body diagram for m1, we can find the net force for m1 to be 1764N.
SilentBlade91

Homework Statement

In the diagram, the pulley is frictionless and the
string is massless. Given: m2 = 90 kg, m1 = 2m2,  angle=
26o, and μk = 0.11. Determine the tension in the string.

The m2 is on a sloped hill, m1 is dangling down off of the pully

Homework Equations

Fg=mg
F=ma
Fk=uk(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the net force for m2 to be 386.643-the friction force which is 87.201=299.442N. then I subtracted from the Fg of m1=1764N. So 1764-299.442=1464.56N so the tension=1464.56N did I do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
SilentBlade91 said:

I found the net force for m2 to be 386.643-the friction force which is 87.201=299.442N.
That's NOT the net force, because you did not include the tension force, T, in that equation. The net force is then equal to m2a
subtracted from the Fg of m1=1764N. So 1764-299.442=1464.56N so the tension=1464.56N did I do this right?
No, you have to look at the hanging block separately using a free body diagram. What are the forces acting on m1, what's the net force? Then again the net force =m1a. Solve the 2 equations with 2 unknowns for T.

Last edited:
Ummm I am not sure exactly if I got what ur saying right, but I used the Fnet for m2 I found before that you said was right (299.442) and used the mass of m2 (90) to find a which equaled 3.32713m/s^2. Then i used that acceleration and used it to multiply with m1 (180) to get 598.883N. Idk if that is the T or what... I probably did none of that right hahaa.

SilentBlade91 said:
Ummm I am not sure exactly if I got what ur saying right, but I used the Fnet for m2 I found before that you said was right (299.442) and used the mass of m2 (90) to find a which equaled 3.32713m/s^2. Then i used that acceleration and used it to multiply with m1 (180) to get 598.883N. Idk if that is the T or what... I probably did none of that right hahaa.
Sorry, i meant to say that was not the net force. Ill edit that response.

Okay so I made separate free body diagrams of each.

On m1 there would only be 2 forces correct? The FGm1-1764 going down and the T going up?

Then on m2 there would be a Force of 299.442 (after subtracting the friction force) but then going that same direction as F would be T right?

So I did T+F=m2a which would come out as T=m2a-F

Then for m1 i did Fgm1-T=m1a then replaced the T with (m2a-F)

so Fgm1-(m2a-F)=m1a which finding acceleration would come out as a=(Fgm1+F)/(m1+m2)

so a=(1764+299.442)/(180+90)=7.64238m/s^2

so then I plugged that acceleration into T=m2a-F so T=90(7.64238)-299.442= a tension of 388.372N. I hope that is right this has been a pain haaha

I get a different answer. (Edit: seems like I solved a different variation of the problem based on my interpretation of the words...)

Last edited:
Turns out my answer was right.

Related to Calculating Tension in a Pulley System on a Sloped Surface

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of the bumps and valleys.

2. How does friction affect objects on a slope?

Friction can either help or hinder motion on a slope. If the force of friction is greater than the force of gravity, it will slow down or stop the object from sliding down the slope. If the force of gravity is greater, the object will accelerate down the slope.

3. What are pulleys and how do they work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs around the groove. It can change the direction of a force and/or multiply the force applied.

4. How do pulleys affect friction on a slope?

Pulleys can reduce the amount of friction on a slope by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes. This reduces the force of friction and allows the object to move more easily down the slope.

5. What are some real-life applications of friction and pulleys on a slope?

Friction and pulleys are commonly used in elevators, zip lines, and escalators. They are also used in construction, such as cranes and hoists, to lift and move heavy objects up slopes. Additionally, they are used in sports equipment, such as rock climbing gear and ski lifts.