Calculating tension of objects with a pulley on an incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
yummallory
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the tension in the cable connecting the two masses. Assume all surfaces are frictionless.

http://tinypic.com/r/20jg36s/7

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to begin the solution but came out with a negative acceleration (-2m/s^2)
For the 5 kg mass:
Ft-Fg2sin60=ma
Ft-(5)(9.8)sin60=5a
Ft-49sin60=5a
I wasn't sure how to get the equation for the 6 kg mass...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi yummallory! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a degree: ° and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
yummallory said:
For the 5 kg mass:
Ft-Fg2sin60=ma
Ft-(5)(9.8)sin60=5a
Ft-49sin60=5a
I wasn't sure how to get the equation for the 6 kg mass...

same way, but with -a instead of a :wink: