Calculating tension of objects with a pulley on an incline

In summary, the tension in the cable connecting the two masses can be calculated by using the equations Ft-Fg2sin60=ma and Ft-49sin60=5a for the 5 kg mass and -a for the 6 kg mass. All surfaces are assumed to be frictionless.
yummallory

Homework Statement

Calculate the tension in the cable connecting the two masses. Assume all surfaces are frictionless.

http://tinypic.com/r/20jg36s/7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to begin the solution but came out with a negative acceleration (-2m/s^2)
For the 5 kg mass:
Ft-Fg2sin60=ma
Ft-(5)(9.8)sin60=5a
Ft-49sin60=5a
I wasn't sure how to get the equation for the 6 kg mass...

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi yummallory! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a degree: ° and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
yummallory said:
For the 5 kg mass:
Ft-Fg2sin60=ma
Ft-(5)(9.8)sin60=5a
Ft-49sin60=5a
I wasn't sure how to get the equation for the 6 kg mass...

same way, but with -a instead of a :wink:

FAQ: Calculating tension of objects with a pulley on an incline

1. How do I calculate the tension of an object on an incline with a pulley?

To calculate the tension of an object on an incline with a pulley, you will need to use the formula T = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

2. What is the role of the pulley in calculating tension on an incline?

The pulley helps to redirect the force of gravity from acting directly on the object to acting at an angle. This change in angle affects the overall tension force on the object, as seen in the formula mentioned above.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the tension on the object?

The steeper the incline, the greater the tension on the object will be. This is because the force of gravity is acting at a greater angle, making the overall tension force higher.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of friction in calculating tension on an incline?

The coefficient of friction accounts for the resistance between the object and the incline. This resistance affects the overall tension force on the object, as seen in the formula mentioned above. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a higher tension force.

5. Can I use this formula for any type of incline?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of incline, as long as the angle and coefficient of friction are known. Just plug in the values and solve for the tension force.