1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the boiling point of water

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi,
    I'm looking through wikipedia for a formula to calculate the boiling point of liquids in function of the atmospheric pressure but I didn't find any.
    In fact I'm curious what it would be for water on the Moon, Jupiter and so on.
    By the way, is the fusion point pressure-dependent? I guess no.
    So if a planet has a high pressure at ground level, I could heat up water and put a piece of iron and watching it being liquefied.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The melting temperature is indeed pressure-dependent, but the dependence is small compared to that of the boiling temperature. It's a function of the volume difference between the two phases, which is small and doesn't change much for solids and liquids.

5. Apr 2, 2009 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you very much to both.
    Do you have the formula?

6. Apr 2, 2009 #5

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's the same that mgb_phys mentioned, the Clausius-Clapeyron relation. For a phase change to occur (at constant temperature and pressure), the Gibbs free energies must be equal; i.e., [itex]\Delta G=0[/itex] when comparing the two phases. By definition, [itex]G=U+PV-TS[/itex], so [itex]\Delta G=\Delta U+P\Delta V-T\Delta S=0[/itex] and the change in phase change temperature for a given change in pressure is

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}=\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta S}[/tex]

For small changes, we can assume that [itex]\Delta V[/itex] and [itex]\Delta s[/itex] are constant and use the fact that [itex]\Delta S_M=\Delta H_M/T_M[/itex] at the melting temperature ([itex]G=H-TS[/itex] by definition). [itex]\Delta H_M[/itex] is the easily found enthalpy of fusion. So we end up with

[tex]\Delta T_M\approx\frac{T_M\Delta V}{\Delta H_M}\Delta P[/tex]

7. Apr 2, 2009 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks mapes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook