Calculating the charge densities

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of a surface charge density into a linear charge density along the Y axis in order to represent an infinite surface with length L. The attempt at a solution involves using the formula Q' = ρ_sdl to calculate the linear charge density. The conversation also explores the possibility of simulating the field in the YZ plane with a uniform charge along the Y axis, but concludes that this is not possible.
diredragon

Homework Statement

Lets say you have a infinitely long surface with one side of length ##L## and a surface charge density ##ρ_s## and you need to transform that into a linear charge density ##Q'## so that you can represent the surface along some axis ##y## so the the surface is placed normal to the axis and goes from ##y=0## to ##y=L## how would you make that transition? Take the infinitely long dimension to be ##h##.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I tried this line of thinking:
$$Q'=\frac{dQ}{dh}=\frac{ρ_sdS}{dh}=\frac{ρ_sdhdl}{dh}=ρ_sdl$$
Could this be correct and how would it be in a more complicated case? Is there a pattern here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the arrangement. It is an infinite strip width L, and the y-axis is normal to the strip? So say it is L in the x-axis and infinite in z. But now you have y from 0 to L? And in what sense are you wanting to "represent" the surface?

haruspex said:
I don't understand the arrangement. It is an infinite strip width L, and the y-axis is normal to the strip? So say it is L in the x-axis and infinite in z. But now you have y from 0 to L? And in what sense are you wanting to "represent" the surface?
Sorry, i think i was a little confusing in choosing the words. Let's imagine it like this. You see the wall, the ##y-axis## is to the right and left of this wall, the ##x-axis## is up and down and the ##z-axis## is behind and in front of you. The surface is placed so that it is infinite up and down and of length ##L## from ##y=0## to ##y=L##. Is now clearer?

diredragon said:
Sorry, i think i was a little confusing in choosing the words. Let's imagine it like this. You see the wall, the ##y-axis## is to the right and left of this wall, the ##x-axis## is up and down and the ##z-axis## is behind and in front of you. The surface is placed so that it is infinite up and down and of length ##L## from ##y=0## to ##y=L##. Is now clearer?
Ok, but then what do you mean by the required transformation into a linear density? Where is this in the picture, and in what sense does it relresent the original charge? The fields are obviously not the same.

So with the set up coordinate system you rotate it so that the x-axis looks to you and you see only the z ad the y. The surface looks like a line on the y-axis you right? So given the surface charge density can you transform it into a linear charge density along the y-axis bu cutting the surface into small elements of ##dy## (lines along the surface). This is the problem.

diredragon said:
So with the set up coordinate system you rotate it so that the x-axis looks to you and you see only the z ad the y. The surface looks like a line on the y-axis you right? So given the surface charge density can you transform it into a linear charge density along the y-axis bu cutting the surface into small elements of ##dy## (lines along the surface). This is the problem.
Ok. I think you are asking whether the field in the YZ plane can be simulated by a uniform charge along the Y axis.
The answer is no.
Close to the plane, the field is approximately constant (as for an infinite plane sheet). For a line of charge, the field gets very much stronger as you approach the line.

1. What is charge density?

Charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a material or substance. It is typically represented by the symbol ρ (rho) and is expressed in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3) or coulombs per liter (C/L).

2. How do you calculate charge density?

To calculate charge density, you first need to determine the amount of electric charge (Q) and the volume (V) of the material or substance. Then, divide the charge by the volume to get the charge density: ρ = Q/V. Make sure to use consistent units for both charge and volume.

3. What is the difference between linear, surface, and volume charge density?

Linear charge density refers to the amount of charge per unit length along a line, surface charge density is the amount of charge per unit area on a surface, and volume charge density is the amount of charge per unit volume within a material or substance. They are all different ways of measuring charge density depending on the shape and size of the material.

4. How does charge density affect electric fields?

Charge density can affect the strength and direction of electric fields. In general, the higher the charge density, the stronger the electric field. Additionally, the distribution of charges can also impact the electric field, with higher concentrations of charges resulting in stronger electric fields.

5. Can charge density change in a material?

Yes, charge density can change in a material. This can happen through the addition or removal of charges, or through changes in the volume of the material. For example, if you increase the charge on a metal object, the charge density will also increase. Similarly, compressing a material can increase its charge density.