Calculating the EM Field around a Moving Charge

In summary, the Lienard-Wiechart potentials are a set of equations that describe the field around a moving charge. They are used to calculate the magnetic field at a given point.
snoopies622
I want to know how to find the electromagnetic field at a given point around a moving charge and this has led me to a few questions. My first one is, do both the

[tex]

\mu _0 \bf {J}

[/tex]

term and the

[tex]

\mu_0 \epsilon _0 \frac {\partial}{\partial t} \bf E

[/tex]

term contribute to the magnetic component of the field even when the "current" is only a single charged particle?

Science news on Phys.org
If you are asking if a single moving charge can be considered a current, the answer is yes.
You can in principle (and in the future hopefully in practice) define current(the ampere) by simply counting the number of charges that passes by a certain point in a circuit per unit time, it doesn't matter if these charges are traveling inside a conductor or in vacuum.

snoopies622 said:
I want to know how to find the electromagnetic field at a given point around a moving charge
I can answer that part of your question. The equations you wrote are only part of the full set needed. All four of Maxwell's equations must be used to get the wave equation for the EM potentials. These must be solved to get the Leinard-Wiechert fields of a moving point charge. The whole procedure is given in full detail in more advanced EM texts. There really is no short cut.

Yes, SR can be used to get the constant velocity fields, but it is harder for general motion.

f95toli said:
If you are asking if a single moving charge can be considered a current, the answer is yes.
But must it be? Since any changing electric field is produced by a moving charge or charges somewhere, this implies that there are no circumstances in which one would use only the dE/dt term to find the curl of the magnetic field anywhere. Is this right?
clem said:
The whole procedure is given in full detail in more advanced EM texts.
Is there one you can recommend for me?
jtbell said:
Thanks for the link! That looks like a good source.

snoopies622 said:
But must it be? Since any changing electric field is produced by a moving charge or charges somewhere, this implies that there are no circumstances in which one would use only the dE/dt term to find the curl of the magnetic field anywhere. Is this right?

Is there one you can recommend for me?
I use "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin. It does the L-W fields in detail.
The curl B ~ dE/dt equation holds at any point, so it can give curl B if there is no current at that point.

clem said:
I use "Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin. It does the L-W fields in detail.
Thanks. I will see if the physics library closest to me has it.

In the meantime, the Wikipedia article on the Biot-Savart law includes a section called, "point charge at constant velocity" which includes the formula

[tex]

\vec B = \vec v \times \frac {1}{c^2} \vec E

[/tex]

where

[tex]

\vec E = \frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon _0} \frac {q \vec r }{r^2}

[/tex]

and seems to imply that this accounts for both terms in Ampere's (Maxwell-modified) law for the magnetic field in the case of a moving charge. Is my interpretation of this correct?

As often happens Wiki is just dead wrong. If you follow its Griffith footnote to the end, you will find "but this is simply [tex]\it wrong[/tex]" about that equation for B.
An earlier post and even Wiki has the correct formula, but only for constant velocity.

I imagine that the answer I'm looking for will be in the Franklin text, but since I can't get to the library for a few days I'll try to reformulate it here. Suppose I have a charged particle that is moving according to

[tex]
x= A sin (\omega t)
\hspace {10 mm} y=0 \hspace {10 mm} z=0

[/tex]

and I want to find out about the electromagnetic wave at point (3A, A, 0) at some specific future time. Since the electrical field around the charge is changing due to the charge's motion, the Maxwell portion of Ampere's law will contribute to the magnetic field there. My question is: is that the only thing that contributes to it, or must I superimpose another magnetic field on top of that one due to the "current" that is the single moving charge?

Two things:
1) If a uniformly moving charge is moving faster than c/n in a medium with index of refraction n, then it radiates (Cerenkov (Chrenkov) radiation). See Schiff "Quantum Mechanics" (2nd ed) pgs 267 - 271

2) If the charge is accelerating or decelerating, there is a radiation field. See Panofsky and Phillips "Classical E & M" Chap. 19 "Fields from an Accelerated Charge."

Doh! I just took a good look at what the Lienard-Wiechart potentials are and realized that they completely answer my questions. Thanks all.

Related to Calculating the EM Field around a Moving Charge

1. How do you calculate the electric field around a moving charge?

The electric field around a moving charge can be calculated using the formula E = kq/r^2, where k is the electrostatic constant, q is the charge of the object and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the field is being measured. This formula takes into account the distance and strength of the charge, and can be used to calculate the electric field at any point in space.

2. What factors affect the strength of the electric field around a moving charge?

The strength of the electric field around a moving charge is affected by the distance from the charge, the magnitude of the charge, and the presence of other charges in the surrounding area. The electric field becomes weaker as the distance from the charge increases, and stronger as the magnitude of the charge increases. Additionally, the presence of other charges can alter the direction and strength of the electric field.

3. How does the motion of the charge affect the electric field around it?

The motion of the charge affects the electric field around it by creating a magnetic field. This is known as electromagnetic radiation. As the charge moves, the electric and magnetic fields oscillate and propagate through space, creating a wave-like pattern. This phenomenon is described by Maxwell's equations and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields around moving charges.

4. Can the electric field around a moving charge change over time?

Yes, the electric field around a moving charge can change over time. As the charge moves, the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point will change. Additionally, if the charge is accelerating, the electric field will also change in accordance with the changing velocity of the charge. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism.

5. How can the electric field around a moving charge be used in practical applications?

The electric field around a moving charge has many practical applications, such as in generators, motors, and antennas. In generators and motors, the changing electric field caused by a moving magnet or wire is used to create a current and produce electricity. In antennas, the electric field is used to transmit and receive electromagnetic waves, allowing for wireless communication. Understanding the behavior of the electric field around a moving charge is essential in developing and improving these technologies.