Calculating the Impulse (Magnitude and direction) question - Thanks

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling to solve a problem and seeking help. They ask for pointers and receive a definition of impulse as well as an equation to use. The student then shows their attempt at solving the problem and asks for further assistance.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Below is a snapshot of the question I can't seem to solve.

2130p6c.jpg

I can't seem to find in my textbook how to work out this problem...:(

Any pointers? Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
nukeman said:

Homework Statement

Below is a snapshot of the question I can't seem to solve.

2130p6c.jpg

I can't seem to find in my textbook how to work out this problem...:(

Any pointers? Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the mathematical definition of the impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum

nukeman said:
Impulse is the change in momentum

Show us the equation(s). That would be what you should have put in the "Relevant Equations" part of the Homework Help Template above...

Then tell us what you think you should do with the equation(s). That would go in the last part of the HH Template...

Is this correct??

ΔPx = m(Vfx - Vix) = .60(-v sin 65 - v sin 65)

= -2mvsin65

-2(.60)(5.4)(.90) = - 5.8

Ok now I am gettin stuck?

FAQ: Calculating the Impulse (Magnitude and direction) question - Thanks

1. What is impulse and how is it calculated?

Impulse is a physical quantity that measures the change in momentum of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time over which the force acts. This can be represented by the equation Impulse = Force x Time.

2. How do you determine the magnitude of impulse?

The magnitude of impulse is determined by calculating the area under the force vs. time graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, and calculating the area of each shape. The sum of these areas will give the total magnitude of impulse.

3. How is the direction of impulse determined?

The direction of impulse is determined by the direction of the force applied to the object. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's motion, the impulse will be in the same direction. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, the impulse will be in the opposite direction.

4. What are some real-life examples of impulse?

Some examples of impulse in everyday life include hitting a golf ball with a club, a car's airbag deploying during a collision, and a person jumping off a diving board into a pool. In all of these cases, a force is applied to an object over a certain amount of time, resulting in a change in momentum and the generation of impulse.

5. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse and momentum are closely related, as impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object. The greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum and the greater the effect on the object's motion. This relationship is represented by the equation Impulse = Change in Momentum.

Back