Calculating the magnetic field inside a field coil

In summary: And if you know dB/dt which will be a sinusoid, can you from that deduce the time-varying B field itself?
newageanubis

Homework Statement

(This is a bonus question for a lab I have coming up next week.)

In this part of the lab, a large field coil is hooked up to a function generator that outputs a 100 kHz, 10V peak-to-peak waveform. A smaller test coil is connected to an oscilloscope and slowly inserted into the field coil. The induced emf can be read off of the oscilloscope. Knowing the number of turns and cross-sectional area of the test coil, calculate the magnetic field B inside the large test coil.

Homework Equations

ε = -L*(dI/dt)
B = μNI/L

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution 1:
I'm thinking that the emf in the test coil can be read off of the oscilloscope and represented as a sinusoidal function. The inductance of the test coil can be determined from its known geometric properties. Then, you rearrange the equation so that it reads:

-ε/L dt = dI

And integrate, taking I = 0 at t = 0 as the initial value. Then, since B = μNI/L, the magnetic field inside the field coil can be found as a function of time. You solve for the time of interest (time at which you want to know the B field) using the ε function and a specific ε value at the time of interest, and then solve for the B field using the previously determined function.

The only problem (other than the fact that I'm probably wrong) is that this solution requires me to have access to the dimensions of the field coil, which I don't know if I will.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :(

I think you're on the wrong track.

Test coil: how about Newton's emf = -Nd(phi)/dt?
What is phi in terms of area of the coil and the (average) value of the B field inside that area?

rude man said:
I think you're on the wrong track.

Test coil: how about Newton's emf = -Nd(phi)/dt?
What is phi in terms of area of the coil and the (average) value of the B field inside that area?

[itex]\Phi[/itex] = B_avg * A for this situation, I believe. The test coil isn't moved once it is inside the field coil, so the effective area doesn't change.

newageanubis said:
[itex]\Phi[/itex] = B_avg * A for this situation, I believe. The test coil isn't moved once it is inside the field coil, so the effective area doesn't change.

Ah, true.

But B does change. 100 KHz ... and emf = d(phi)/dt, not phi. So what is d(phi)/dt? Does that give you dB/dt?

And if you know dB/dt which will be a sinusoid, can you from that deduce the time-varying B field itself?

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field inside a field coil?

The magnetic field inside a field coil can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * N * I, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current flowing through the coil.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the magnetic field inside a field coil?

The unit of measurement for the magnetic field inside a field coil is Tesla (T). It can also be measured in Gauss (G), with 1 T equal to 10,000 G.

3. How does the number of turns in a field coil affect the magnetic field strength inside?

The number of turns in a field coil is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength inside. This means that as the number of turns increases, the magnetic field strength also increases. However, the distance from the coil also plays a role in determining the overall strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic field inside a field coil be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field inside a field coil can be manipulated by changing the current flowing through the coil. Increasing or decreasing the current will result in a corresponding increase or decrease in the magnetic field strength.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the magnetic field inside a field coil?

Aside from the number of turns and current, the shape and material of the coil can also affect the magnetic field strength inside. A tightly wound coil with a high permeability material will produce a stronger magnetic field compared to a loosely wound coil with a low permeability material.