Calculating % uncertainties

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the volume of a metal pipe with given dimensions and the estimation of the greatest possible percentage error of the volume. The correct answer is 22.5%, but the person has been getting 34% as their answer. After showing their working, it is suggested to compute the maximum possible volume instead of using the given method, which may have errors due to counting the same value twice and not considering the interdependence of the dimensions.
harvey1999
A manufacturer needs to determine the volume of metal used to produce a metal pipe of the following dimensions:
Length, L 40 + 1 m
External diameter, D 12.0 + 0.2 cm
Internal diameter, d 10.0 + 0.2 cm
Estimate the greatest possible percentage error of the volume.

the correct ans is 22.5%.

but no matter how many times I've tried, my ans is always 34%. Help pls thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show us your working?

Likes Simon Bridge
Qwertywerty said:
Could you show us your working?
V=(pi)(R^2)(L) - (pi)(r^2)(L)

delta(R)=(1/2)(0.2)=0.1cm
delta(r)=(1/2)(0.2)=0.1cm

delta(V) = delta(pi*R^2*L) + delta(pi*r^2*L)

Let x=(pi)(R^2)(L)

delta(x)/x = 2(0.1/6) + 1/40= 7/120

delta(x)=7/120 * (pi*R^2*L)=7/120 * 14 400 pi = 840pi

Let y=pi*r^2*L

delta(y)/y = 2(0.1/5) + 1/40=13/200

delta(y)=13/200 * pi*r^2*L=13/200 * 10 000pi= 650pi

delta(V) = delta(x) + delta(y)
=1490pi
delta(V)/V *100% = 1490pi/4400pi *100 = 34%

fyi 4400pi is the value of V
thank you

Hi harvey,

I've moved your thread to the homework forums, but in the future please post all homework questions in the appropriate homework forum and use the template provided.

You have counted the 1/40 twice over. There may be other errors.
Safest way is just to compute the maximum possible volume.

haruspex said:
You have counted the 1/40 twice over. There may be other errors.
Safest way is just to compute the maximum possible volume.
i'm sorry, what do you mean by counting 1/40 twice? is my method not the correct approach anyway?

harvey1999 said:
i'm sorry, what do you mean by counting 1/40 twice? is my method not the correct approach anyway?
You counted it here:
harvey1999 said:
delta(x)/x = 2(0.1/6) + 1/40= 7/120
and here:
harvey1999 said:
delta(y)/y = 2(0.1/5) + 1/40=13/200
Your problem starts with this line:
harvey1999 said:
delta(V) = delta(pi*R^2*L) + delta(pi*r^2*L)
Let's back up one step:
##\Delta V = \Delta (\pi*R^2*L-\pi*r^2*L)##
You cannot split that as ##\Delta (\pi*R^2*L)+\Delta(\pi*r^2*L)## because the two terms are not independent.
If the actual length is L-ΔL on the inner radius it will be L-ΔL on the outer radius. Your analysis exaggerates the range by allowing a volume like
##\pi((R-\Delta R)^2(L-\Delta L)-(r+\Delta r)^2(L+\Delta L))##

haruspex said:
You counted it here:

and here:

Your problem starts with this line:

Let's back up one step:
##\Delta V = \Delta (\pi*R^2*L-\pi*r^2*L)##
You cannot split that as ##\Delta (\pi*R^2*L)+\Delta(\pi*r^2*L)## because the two terms are not independent.
If the actual length is L-ΔL on the inner radius it will be L-ΔL on the outer radius. Your analysis exaggerates the range by allowing a volume like
##\pi((R-\Delta R)^2(L-\Delta L)-(r+\Delta r)^2(L+\Delta L))##

however, it is true that if R=A+B,
then delta(R) = delta(A) + delta(B).
i don't get what you mean by independent though. I'm sorry but i just want to fully understand this, thank you!

What is a percent uncertainty?

Percent uncertainty is a measure of the amount of uncertainty in a measurement, expressed as a percentage of the measured value. It is commonly used in science to indicate the precision of a measurement.

How do you calculate percent uncertainty?

Percent uncertainty is calculated by dividing the absolute uncertainty (the smallest increment that can be measured) by the measured value, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The formula is: % uncertainty = (absolute uncertainty/measured value) * 100.

Why is percent uncertainty important in science?

Percent uncertainty is important because it allows scientists to communicate the precision of a measurement. It also helps in comparing the reliability of different measurements and determining the overall accuracy of an experiment or study.

What is the difference between percent uncertainty and percent error?

Percent uncertainty and percent error are both measures of the accuracy of a measurement, but they are calculated differently. Percent uncertainty is a measure of the precision of a measurement, while percent error is a measure of how close the measured value is to the accepted or true value. Percent error is calculated by subtracting the accepted value from the measured value, dividing by the accepted value, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

How can percent uncertainty be reduced?

Percent uncertainty can be reduced by improving the precision of the measurement. This can be done by using more precise instruments, taking multiple measurements, and reducing sources of error in the experiment. It is also important to properly record and report the uncertainty in a measurement to accurately convey the precision of the results.