1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating uncertainty

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    I have a lab where I have to calculate the theoretical value of R using the following equation and then find the uncertainty in R.

*I know the values of x,y,z and their respective uncertainties.

The problem is that we have only learned basic uncertainty rules (i.e. for multiplication/division you add the %uncertainty, for addition/subtraction you add the absolute uncertainties). This is much more complicated since I have to deal with SIN/COS and square roots. I was searching around and it seems that I have to calculate the partial derivative or differentials. I am not familiar with differentials and I have no idea how to solve this problem. If anyone can offer any help whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated or anywhere where I can find this information.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    I'm using excel if that makes any difference whatsoever
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    You are quite right about using partial derivatives. Don't be scared yet. I agree that you have a complicated expression to start with. I would suggest first simplifying it as much as possible (using trig identities). I assume you know basic differentiation? I really hope so...
    When I say "simplify" I mean put it in a form thats less "scary" to differentiate. (derivatives of sin and cos can be found in any table of derivatives).

Example: If you have a function [tex] T=T(f,\lambda,...) [/tex] then the error in T is found by:
    [tex] (\delta T)^2 = (\frac{dT}{df})^2(\delta f)^2 + (\frac{dT}{d\lambda})^2(\delta \lambda)^2+(\frac{dT}{d...})^2(\delta ...)^2 [/tex]
    where [tex] \delta [/tex] is the error value(s).
  5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
    I don't know if Excel can differentiate...Ever used Matlab or Mathematica?
  6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
    To calculate the partial derivative [itex]\partial R/\partial x[/itex], differentiate R with respect to x, treating all the other variables as constants. Do likewise for the other partial derivatives.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?