Calculating velocities with only acceleration and time

In summary, the conversation discusses a basic physics experiment involving throwing a ball upward and catching it, and calculating the initial and final velocity with given values of acceleration and time. The equations used are delta x=Vi*t+(.5)(t)^2 and Vf=Vi+at, with the additional note that if the ball is caught at the same horizontal level, the initial and final velocities are equal.
noelani
This was a basic physics experiment. A ball was thrown upward and then caught. Calculate initial and final velocity given: acceleration= -9.8m/s^2 (gravity); time= 2.12sec

delta x=Vi*t+(.5)(t)^2
Vf=Vi+at

I actually don't know where to begin. I don't know an equation for velocity that doesn't require displacement (which I also need to find).

Physics news on Phys.org
if it's caught at the same horizontal level, then vi=vf [note the direction of each, one is + and the other is -]

solve!

ps. welcome to PF :)

drizzle said:
if it's caught at the same horizontal level, then vi=vf [note the direction of each, one is + and the other is -]

solve!

ps. welcome to PF :)

Thanks for the help. So how would I figure out which equation to use?

FAQ: Calculating velocities with only acceleration and time

What is the formula for calculating velocity with only acceleration and time?

The formula is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Can you calculate velocity without knowing the initial velocity?

Yes, using the formula v = at, where v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. However, you will need to know the initial velocity if you want to calculate the displacement.

How do you convert the units of time and acceleration to calculate velocity?

To ensure consistency, make sure that the time is in seconds and the acceleration is in meters per second squared. If not, you can use unit conversion to change them to the appropriate units before plugging them into the formula.

Can you calculate velocity if acceleration changes over time?

Yes, in this case, you will need to use calculus or break down the problem into smaller parts with constant acceleration. You can then use the formula v = u + at for each part and add the velocities together to get the final velocity.

What are the limitations of using only acceleration and time to calculate velocity?

Using only acceleration and time to calculate velocity assumes that the acceleration is constant and there are no external forces acting on the object. In reality, acceleration can change and there may be other factors affecting the velocity of an object, so the calculated value may not be entirely accurate.

Back