Calculating Velocity and Acceleration Using Unit Vector Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding expressions for velocity and acceleration as functions of time for a particle with a position vector of r = (3.0i + 6.0j)m. The conversation also raises questions about the use of "m" as a variable for time and the possibility of an error in the given information. It is noted that velocity is the rate of change of position and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.
UNDEAD WAFFLE
Unit Vector notation??

The vector position of a particle varies in time according to the expression r = (3.0i +6.0j)m

Find expressions for velocity and acceleration as functions of time.

I have NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS.

Physics news on Phys.org

Does the variable m stand for time in this problem..? Do you know how to differentiate? Velocity is the position function's rate of change, and acceleration is the velocity function's rate of change.

206PiruBlood said:
Does the variable m stand for time in this problem..? Do you know how to differentiate? Velocity is the position function's rate of change, and acceleration is the velocity function's rate of change.

m was meters, what confused me was that there was no variable given for time, by standard we use "t" in class and this position vector had no variable for time so I couldn't differentiate :/ Do you think maybe my teacher made an error typing the worksheet? I don't think there is enought information given only that position vector.

Well I guess technically the velocity and acceleration are zero if your position is a constant. Seems odd that you would be asked that though.

Yeah, thank you for your help, I agree lol

Related to Calculating Velocity and Acceleration Using Unit Vector Notation

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is typically used to represent direction or orientation in a vector space.

2. How do you represent a unit vector in notation?

A unit vector is typically represented by placing a hat ( ̂) symbol above the variable, such as ̂v, to indicate that it is a unit vector.

3. What is the difference between a unit vector and a regular vector?

A regular vector can have any magnitude and direction, while a unit vector has a fixed magnitude of 1 and is used to represent direction or orientation.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a unit vector?

The magnitude of a unit vector is always 1, so there is no calculation needed. It is simply denoted by ̂v.

5. Why is unit vector notation important in science?

Unit vector notation is important in science because it allows for the representation of direction and orientation in a vector space, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.