Calculating virtual temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a warm and muggy classroom with a vapor pressure of 20hPa and a temperature of 25C. The first part of the problem asks for the amount of water present in vapor form, which is calculated using the ideal gas law. The answer is 0.58kg. The second part of the problem involves finding the virtual temperature at a pressure of 900hPa, using the ideal gas law and the density of air. The correct answer is 300.7 K, which indicates an error in the initial calculation due to using the incorrect unit for density.
Timebomb3750

Homework Statement

Problem: On a summer day, your classroom warms and becomes muggy with a vapor pressure of 20hPa and a temperature of 25C.

a.) If the volume of the classroom is 40m^3, how much water is present in the room in vapor form?Assume density of liquid water is 1000 kg/m^3

b.) If the pressure in the room is 900hPa, what is the virtual temperature?

Homework Equations

Ideal gas laws: e=(m/v)RT ; P=ρ(Rd)Tv

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the answer to part a.) was easy. I used the ideal gas law e=(m/v)RT and solved for m. The answer I got was .58kg, and that's correct. What I'm having a hard time with is part b.). I figured you could just use another form of the ideal gas law P=ρ(Rd)Tv, where Rd is the gas constant for try air, ρ is density, and Tv is the virtual temperature. So I set up my formula like this:

90,000 N/m^2 = (1000 kg/m^3)*(287 J/kg*K)*Tv

I converted the 900hPa into Pascals and then expressed Pascals as Newtons per square meter.

When I solve for Tv, I strangely get .314 K. I know this isn't right as the answer is supposed to be 300.7 K. So, what am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the density of air only about one kilogram per cubic meter, rather than one tonne? That would explain why you're off by about a factor of 1000.

1. What is virtual temperature?

Virtual temperature is a calculated value that represents the temperature of a parcel of air if it were brought to the reference pressure level of 1000 millibars without changing its moisture content.

2. How is virtual temperature calculated?

Virtual temperature is calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account the effects of both temperature and pressure on air density. The formula for virtual temperature is: Tv = T(1 + (0.61 * q)), where Tv is virtual temperature, T is actual temperature, and q is specific humidity.

3. Why is virtual temperature important?

Virtual temperature is important in meteorology because it allows for more accurate calculations of atmospheric properties, such as density, potential temperature, and stability. It also helps to account for the effects of water vapor on air parcels, which is crucial for understanding weather patterns and forecasting.

4. What are the units for virtual temperature?

Virtual temperature is typically expressed in either degrees Celsius or Kelvin, as it represents a temperature value. However, it is important to note that virtual temperature is not an actual physical temperature, but rather a calculated value for ease of comparison.

5. How does virtual temperature differ from actual temperature?

Virtual temperature differs from actual temperature in that it takes into account the effects of water vapor on air parcels. This means that virtual temperature will always be higher than actual temperature, as water vapor has a lower molecular weight than dry air and therefore contributes less to air density. In other words, virtual temperature is an "equivalent" temperature that accounts for the presence of water vapor in the atmosphere.