1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating virtual temperature

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem: On a summer day, your classroom warms and becomes muggy with a vapor pressure of 20hPa and a temperature of 25C.

a.) If the volume of the classroom is 40m^3, how much water is present in the room in vapor form?Assume density of liquid water is 1000 kg/m^3

b.) If the pressure in the room is 900hPa, what is the virtual temperature?

2. Relevant equations

Ideal gas laws: e=(m/v)RT ; P=ρ(Rd)Tv

3. The attempt at a solution

Finding the answer to part a.) was easy. I used the ideal gas law e=(m/v)RT and solved for m. The answer I got was .58kg, and that's correct. What I'm having a hard time with is part b.). I figured you could just use another form of the ideal gas law P=ρ(Rd)Tv, where Rd is the gas constant for try air, ρ is density, and Tv is the virtual temperature. So I set up my formula like this:

90,000 N/m^2 = (1000 kg/m^3)*(287 J/kg*K)*Tv

I converted the 900hPa into Pascals and then expressed Pascals as Newtons per square meter.

When I solve for Tv, I strangely get .314 K. I know this isn't right as the answer is supposed to be 300.7 K. So, what am I doing wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2
    Isn't the density of air only about one kilogram per cubic meter, rather than one tonne? That would explain why you're off by about a factor of 1000.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted