Calculating work done by E field/voltage

In summary: Thank you for catching that! In summary, four point particles with charges of -5 microC, 2.2 microC, -3.6microC, and 4.8 microC are placed at the corners of a square. The external work needed to bring a charge of -5 microC from infinity to the center of the square is nearly a perfect factor of 2 away, and is due to the Simplicity of a cube.
xcvxcvvc

Homework Statement

Four point particles with charges .6 microC, 2.2 microC, -3.6microC, and 4.8 microC are placed at the corners of a square of side 10cm. what is the external work needed to bring a charge of -5 microC from infinity to the center of the square? (Assume the speed of the -5 microC charge is kept constant)

Homework Equations

V=kq/r(from infinity)
w = Q * v
Vtotal = V1 + v2...Vn

The Attempt at a Solution

9x10^9 * (-5 x 10^-12) / squareroot(.1^2 + .1^2) * (.6 + 2.2 - 3.6 + 4.8) = -1.28 J
answer in book: -2.55J
my answer is nearly a perfect factor of 2 away. What's going on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too sure what you did in your calculations but..
First step is to do a diagram with the 4 charges each at a corner of the square. Then you have to find the potential energy at the center of the square (which is acquired by adding the V=kq/r for each charge). Now that you have the potential energy at the center of the square you can just apply w=qv to get the correct answer.

thaer_dude said:
I'm not too sure what you did in your calculations but..
First step is to do a diagram with the 4 charges each at a corner of the square. Then you have to find the potential energy at the center of the square (which is acquired by adding the V=kq/r for each charge). Now that you have the potential energy at the center of the square you can just apply w=qv to get the correct answer.

that's what i did, and there is no need for a diagram due to the simplicity of a cube

let me explain my calculations: w = k Qq/r

i factored the k out, i factored the r out, and the Q(the charge brought to the middle) is also factored out. I also factored out a x10^-6 (the -12 comes from that), so all that is left is the sum of the charges on the corner.

your method is fine, you must have done a calculation error somewhere. just redo it on a piece of paper.

thaer_dude said:
your method is fine, you must have done a calculation error somewhere. just redo it on a piece of paper.

I have! Could you do it yourself to confirm my answer? Erroneous book answers are not unheard of.

yeah, I had just done it and I got -2.55J as the answer right before I posted my reply. here:

W=(kQq)/r
get it into W=(k)*(Q)/(r)*(sum of qs) form
W=(9*10^9)*(-5microC)/(0.0707m) *(.6microC + 2.2microC - 3.6microC + 4.8microC)
W=-636396*(4microC)
W=-2.55J

I'm kind of sleepy so i couldn't pinpoint the problem earlier but I'm pretty sure you just used the wrong value of r, that's why I recommended to draw a diagram. its the middle of a square with 10 cm sides so if you do pythagoras you have to use .05m and not .1m like you did

thaer_dude said:
I'm kind of sleepy so i couldn't pinpoint the problem earlier but I'm pretty sure you just used the wrong value of r, that's why I recommended to draw a diagram. its the middle of a square with 10 cm sides so if you do pythagoras you have to use .05m and not .1m like you did

omg... of course. a factor of two was no coincidence! I forgot to divide my length by two!

1. How is the work done by an electric field calculated?

The work done by an electric field is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the distance the charged particle moves in the direction of the electric field.

2. What is the equation for calculating work done by a voltage?

The equation for calculating work done by a voltage is W = QΔV, where W is the work done (in joules), Q is the charge (in coulombs), and ΔV is the change in voltage (in volts).

3. Is the work done by an electric field always positive?

No, the work done by an electric field can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of the electric field and the direction of the movement of the charged particle. If the electric field and the movement of the charged particle are in the same direction, the work done will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative.

4. Does the work done by a voltage depend on the path taken by the charged particle?

No, the work done by a voltage does not depend on the path taken by the charged particle. It only depends on the initial and final positions of the charged particle and the change in voltage between these two points.

5. Can the work done by an electric field or voltage be zero?

Yes, the work done by an electric field or voltage can be zero if the charged particle does not move or if it moves perpendicular to the electric field. This means that there is no change in the potential energy of the charged particle.