Calculating Work Done: Understanding the Relationship between Force and Distance

In summary, The person is trying to get ahead in their physics class and is struggling with a problem involving a force of 10 Newtons acting on an object that moves 25 metres to the south-east. They attempted to use trigonometry to solve the problem but were unsure of their answer. They also mention that the problem may be misleading with the use of the term "north-easterly direction." They express gratitude for any help and mention that they will be posting a new question.
synkk
So I'm trying to get ahead of the class for next year and I've started reading this physics book, now I've come along to work and I'm slightly confused on what's happening.

Homework Statement

A force of 10 Newtons to the north-east acts on an object as it moves 25 metres to the south-east. What is the work done by the force?

Homework Equations

W = F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tryed to use trigonometry to solve this, but i don't think i done it correct as the answer is 0J

cos = A/h

a = 25

25/cos45 = h

h * 10 = W

I get around 353J which is completely wrong.

If anyone could help me out, it'd be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
synkk,

The problem does sound misleading with the term "north-easterly direction" as though it is not displaced exactly to the north east. However the 45 degree angle makes me think it is exactly to the north east (i.e. 45 degrees away from the north). Kudos on trying to get ahead!

Thank you i managed to solve a few more problems, my bad on not reading it properly :).

I'm going to update the thread with a new question which I am frankly baffled at.

Related to Calculating Work Done: Understanding the Relationship between Force and Distance

What is the definition of work angle?

Work angle refers to the angle between the force applied to an object and the displacement of that object in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the efficiency of a force in causing movement or displacement.

How is work angle different from force and displacement?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or deform. Displacement is the change in position of an object. Work angle takes into account both the force and displacement and provides a measure of the effectiveness of the force in causing displacement.

What is the formula for calculating work angle?

The formula for work angle is the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector, divided by the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors. In mathematical notation, it is represented as cosθ = (F · d) / (|F| · |d|), where θ is the work angle, F is the force vector, and d is the displacement vector.

How is work angle related to energy?

Work angle is directly related to the concept of energy. Work angle is a measure of the work done by a force on an object, and work is defined as the transfer of energy. The work angle can be used to calculate the amount of energy transferred by a force to an object.

What are some real-life applications of work angle?

Work angle has many practical applications, such as in engineering and physics. It is used in calculating the efficiency of machines and systems, as well as in analyzing the motion of objects. It is also important in sports, as athletes use work angle to optimize their movements and improve their performance.