Calculating Work Homework: Mass 2400kg, Displ. 200m, Vi 26.5m/s, Vf 30m/s

• Thread starter Veronica_Oles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the question asks if you need to use the displacement equation when solving for work when a car's mass and displacement are both given. You can solve the problem without using the displacement equation, but the same answer is given if you use the displacement equation.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

calculate work when mass of car is 2400kg and displacement is 200m the car travels at velocity of 26.5m/s then speeds up to 30m/s

Homework Equations

M- 2400 kg
Vi - 26.5m/s
Vf- 30 m/s
D- 200 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling with figuring out how to solve this problem would i have to use the formula w = Ek - Ek? But theb i don't end up usinh displacement is there no need to use it here? Does the question have too much information given?

Physics news on Phys.org
Veronica_Oles said:
Does the question have too much information given?
What do you think and why?

There are two ways to solve the problem and both give the same answer.

Orodruin said:
What do you think and why?
I think that yes u can solve without displacement. Thats the way i make sense of the question Ek final minus Ek initial!

Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

calculate work when mass of car is 2400kg and displacement is 200m the car travels at velocity of 26.5m/s then speeds up to 30m/s

Homework Equations

M- 2400 kg
Vi - 26.5m/s
Vf- 30 m/s
D- 200 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling with figuring out how to solve this problem would i have to use the formula w = Ek - Ek? But theb i don't end up usinh displacement is there no need to use it here? Does the question have too much information given?

use ##W = {1\over 2}m(v_f^2 - v_i^2)##

You can also solve it by using the displacement and the equations of motion to calculate the acceleration. Then apply Newtons law to give the force. Then work = force * distance. Gives same answer as calculating the change in KE.

Veronica_Oles said:
But theb i don't end up usinh displacement is there no need to use it here?
Have you quoted the whole question, word for word? It reads a bit strangely.
If so then I applaud the question setter. It should happen much more often that questions include redundant information. Figuring out which information is useful is a necessary skill in the real world.

1. How do I calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the formula W = F x d.

2. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W represents work, F represents force, and d represents distance.

3. How do I calculate work when given mass, displacement, initial velocity, and final velocity?

To calculate work in this scenario, you can use the formula W = (1/2) x m x (Vf^2 - Vi^2), where W represents work, m represents mass, Vf represents final velocity, and Vi represents initial velocity. In this case, the given values would be plugged into the formula as follows: W = (1/2) x 2400kg x ((30m/s)^2 - (26.5m/s)^2) = 150,000 Joules.

4. What units is work typically measured in?

Work is typically measured in Joules (J), which is a unit of energy. Other possible units include calories, kilowatt-hours, and foot-pounds.

5. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This typically occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its displacement. In this case, the work done on the object is considered to be negative.