Calculating Work Required to Remove Dielectric Slab from Charged Capacitor

• Thread starter srhly
  • Start date
In summary, the parallel-plate capacitor initially has a capacitance of 2.19nF and is charged to an initial potential difference of 94V. The dielectric slab with a dielectric constant of 7.54 is then removed, leading to a change in capacitance and potential difference. The work required for removing the dielectric slab can be calculated using the formula W= Ui - Uf, where Ui is the initial potential energy and Uf is the final potential energy.
srhly
An isolated capacitor has a dielectric slab k between its two plates. The capacitor is charged by a battery. After the capacitor is charged, the battery is removed. The dielectric slab is then removed. Finally, the capacitor reaches equilibrium. Initially the parallel-plate capacitor has a capacitance of 2.19nF is charged to an initial potential difference of 94 V. The dielectric material has a dielectric constant k = 7.54. What is the magnitude of the work required when the dielectric slab is then removed?

I used:
W= Ui - Uf
U= 0.5CV^2
Uf= (0.5)C(k*Vi)^2
Ui = (0.5)C(Vi)^2

Vi=initial potential difference.

I have tried to double check the math, so I guess I messed up with the formulas. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
After charging, the battery is removed hence by displacing the slab the capacitance will change produces change in potential difference between the plates.

In such processes where the battery is disconnected the charge will remain unaltered, not potential difference.

There appears to be an error in the formula used to calculate the final potential energy after the dielectric slab is removed. The correct formula should be Uf = (0.5)(C/k)(Vi)^2, as the dielectric material increases the capacitance by a factor of k. Using this formula, the final potential energy would be (0.5)(2.19nF/7.54)(94V)^2 = 6.44mJ.

The work required to remove the dielectric slab can then be calculated as W = Ui - Uf = (0.5)(2.19nF)(94V)^2 - 6.44mJ = 0.97mJ. This means that approximately 0.97mJ of work is required to remove the dielectric slab from the charged capacitor.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account any losses or inefficiencies in the system. In a real-world scenario, the work required may be slightly different due to these factors. Additionally, the exact method of removing the dielectric slab may also impact the amount of work required. Overall, this calculation provides an estimate of the work required and can be used as a starting point for further analysis and experimentation.

1. What does "help appreciated" mean?

"Help appreciated" is a phrase commonly used to express a request for assistance or support. It implies that the person is seeking help and would be grateful for any assistance that can be provided.

2. How can I show my appreciation for help received?

There are many ways to show your appreciation for help received. You can say thank you, write a thank you note, or do something kind in return. It's important to express your gratitude and let the person know that their help was appreciated.

3. Is it okay to ask for help?

Yes, it is completely okay to ask for help. In fact, asking for help is a sign of strength and shows that you are willing to learn and improve. It is important to reach out for help when you need it and not be afraid to ask for assistance.

4. How can I offer help to someone who says "help appreciated"?

If someone says "help appreciated", it means they are open to receiving assistance. You can offer to help by asking them specifically what they need help with, or by offering your expertise or resources. It's important to be genuine and not force your help on someone who may not want it.

5. Why is it important to show appreciation for help received?

Showing appreciation for help received is important because it acknowledges the effort and time someone has put into helping you. It also encourages the person to continue helping others, creating a positive cycle of support and kindness. Additionally, expressing gratitude can strengthen relationships and foster a sense of community.