Calculating Work With Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question regarding work with friction. The question involves a toddler pushing a chair at a constant speed against a force of friction. The homework equations and attempted solution are also mentioned. The answer is found to be 25J.
rice1am
Hey guys,
I got a test tommorow regarding Work, Efficiency, Conservation of Mass, and all those other things. And I needed help with this question regarding work with friction. Oooh, I wish I was good in physics :( If anyone knows the answer, please post and tell me how to do it properly. Many thanks!

Homework Statement

A toddler pushes a chair at a constant speed with a force of 25.0N (Applied Force = 25N to the right) for a distance of 2.5m, but the chair is being pushed across a smooth floor against a force of friction (resistance of 10.0N) (Force of friction = 10N to the left). How much work is being done?

Homework Equations

Work=AppliedForce*displacement

Force of gravity=mg

Net force=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I figured that I would subtract 10N from 25N and then use the result (15) and calculate it by the displacement, which is 2.5m. But when I checked my answer at the back of my physics textbook, my answer was incorrect. Now, I'm pretty much stuck? Would the force of friction be of the same value as the applied force?

Physics news on Phys.org
What they give you is the force against which you are doing work.

It's 10N.

That's what you use to calculate the Work.

Now the chair is not being accelerated so evidently the magnitude of the force the toddler is supplying is greater than needed if it was all in the direction of motion. This apparently means then that the force is at an angle and the horizontal component of it is 10N.

oh, I see.

So, would the equation be as follows?

Work= Applied Force * Displacement
= 10N * 2.5m
= 25J

rice1am said:
oh, I see.

So, would the equation be as follows?

Work= Applied Force * Displacement
= 10N * 2.5m
= 25J

That looks correct.

Thanks! :)

Related to Calculating Work With Friction

What is friction and how does it affect work calculations?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. In work calculations, friction must be taken into account because it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion and can decrease the net work done on the object.

How is the coefficient of friction used in work calculations?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is used in work calculations by multiplying it with the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface) and the distance over which the force acts. This gives the amount of work done against friction.

What is the difference between kinetic and static friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is already in motion, while static friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is at rest. In work calculations, kinetic friction is typically used because the object is in motion and work is being done against it.

How can the work done by friction be minimized?

The work done by friction can be minimized by reducing the coefficient of friction between two surfaces, using lubricants, or by making the surfaces smoother. Additionally, reducing the normal force can also decrease the work done by friction.

What are some real-life applications of calculating work with friction?

Calculating work with friction is important in many real-life situations such as determining the amount of work done by a car's brakes to stop, the amount of work done by a person when walking, or the work done by a machine in overcoming frictional forces. It is also relevant in designing machines and structures to minimize friction and improve efficiency.