Calculation of force due to electric dipole

In summary, the electric field due to dipole on the axis is 2kp/(r^3). The attempt at a solution uses position of center of mass as the position where body acts as if its all charge is concentrated at that position. However, this method is incorrect and uses the principle of superposition.
Umrao

Homework Statement

Two identical co-axial rings ,(radius R each) are kept separated by a small distance d, one of them carrying a charge +Q and the other a charge -Q. The charges are uniformly distributed over the respective rings. A point charge q is kept on the common axis of the rings, at a distance R from midpoint of their centers O. The net force on the charge q is (d<<R) (See image of solution)

Homework Equations

Electric field due to dipole on the axis = 2kp/(r^3) (r>>x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been taught that if charge and mass density in a body are distributed in same way then I can use position of centre of mass as the position where body acts as if its all charge is concentrated at that position.

Using that result gives me to points where I can assume that system of co-axial rings act as a dipole and electric field due to it and hence force may be calculated at any point.

Seems easy enough to apply in given question where centre of mass is situated at centre of ring.

p= Qd , r=R , E=2kQd/R^3. Clearly incorrect! (Does not tally with given answer!)

So, here is my request -
1. Would someone please explain the answer in image (The part dealing with cos^2 and sin^2)
2. Where is my method incorrect.

Attachments

• IMAG0927.jpg
    IMAG0927.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 718
Physics news on Phys.org
Do not use the dipole thing. Use the principle of super-position. The cos and sin are there probably as part of the derivation. I already know a result for the field on the axis of a ring, so I used it. But yes, it definitely involves those values.

PS: I did not get the same result. My answer is four times as large.

CrazyNinja said:
Do not use the dipole thing. Use the principle of super-position. The cos and sin are there probably as part of the derivation. I already know a result for the field on the axis of a ring, so I used it. But yes, it definitely involves those values.

PS: I did not get the same result. My answer is four times as large.
Did you by any chance use, E= KQx/(R^2 + x^2)^3/2 for both rings and substract (or add depending upon you, if you think in terms of magnitude or vectors) and use binomial expansion?

My point is - that is how we deduce electric field due dipole - so using superposition, or result of dipole should not really matter, or maybe I got something wrong?

Last edited:
You are getting closer. The ring approach is considerably easier: You have an expression for the on-axis E field -- use the one that still has the ##z## (the horizontal coordinate in your picture) in it. You need to work out ##E^+ - E^-## for small ##d##. In other words ##E(z) - E(z+d)##. Doesn't that remind you of the expression for the derivative of ##E## :rolleyes: ?

(I don't think it's called binomial expansion...)

For the dipole approach you can see that all the little dipoles formed by the charges on the + ring plus their nearest counterpart on the - ring are 'seen' under an angle of 45 degrees. So you need the expression for the off-axis field, then take the z (horizontal) component and then can add up (integrate) around the ring. (The other components cancel). The integration is easy: ##\int dp = {\rm d} \int dq = {\rm d} \int \lambda R\, d\phi = {\rm d} \,2\pi\lambda R= {\rm d}\, Q##

Likes Umrao
BvU said:
For the dipole approach you can see that all the little dipoles formed by the charges on the + ring plus their nearest counterpart on the - ring are 'seen' under an angle of 45 degrees.
So basically you mean that we can't take the whole rings themselves as dipoles, right?

Likes Umrao
Indeed you can not. That would ruin the calculation

Likes Umrao and CrazyNinja
Thanks a lot guys. Apparently I should add a word of caution while treating system of charges as dipoles, I got the answer by both electric field and using dipoles method. Winding up both 11th and 12th class isn't the easiest thing to do, I have been using binomial theorem to get approx. results in thermodynamics so often that it never occurred to me that I should just get away by differentiating the expression, much better and easier approximation.

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used to explain the behavior of electric fields and forces.

2. How is the force due to an electric dipole calculated?

The force due to an electric dipole is calculated using the following formula:
F = (1/4πε0) * (p/r3) * (3cosθ * r - p)

Where F is the force, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, p is the magnitude of the dipole moment, r is the distance from the dipole, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the direction of the force.

3. What is the direction of the force on a point charge placed near an electric dipole?

The direction of the force on a point charge placed near an electric dipole depends on the location of the point charge. If the point charge is placed on the same line as the dipole, the force will be parallel to the dipole moment. If the point charge is placed perpendicular to the dipole, the force will be in the direction of the dipole moment. If the point charge is placed at an angle to the dipole, the force will be in a direction between the two.

4. How does the distance between the charges in an electric dipole affect the force?

The force between charges in an electric dipole is inversely proportional to the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. This relationship is described by the formula F = (1/4πε0) * (p/r3), where r is the distance between the charges.

5. Can the force due to an electric dipole be attractive or repulsive?

Yes, the force due to an electric dipole can be both attractive and repulsive. This depends on the relative positions and orientations of the dipole and the other charges in the system. If the dipole and the other charges have opposite signs, the force will be attractive. If they have the same sign, the force will be repulsive.