Calculation of mass flow rate of 50MW

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the mass flow rate for a gas turbine with an output of 50MW. The engine configuration is a simple single shaft gas turbine with one compressor and one turbine. The temperatures and pressures at various points in the engine are given, along with the compressor, combustion chamber, and turbine efficiencies. The mass flow rate is needed for each stage of the turbine and for the fuel. The conversation ends with a question about how the turbine output power was determined without knowing the mass flow rate at the power turbine.
JK Gowdham
Hi i have calculated compressor , combustor , turbine inlet and outlet temperature , pressure so on and my output of gas turbine is 50MW , So for this i want to calculate the mass flow rate of air and fuel in compressor , combustor , turbine . Like m0=?,m1=?fan inlet,m2=? compressor inlet,m3=? combustor inlet,m4=turbine inlet?and massflow rate of fuel mf=? Kindly help me out soon as possible ...

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass flow is the same throughout the engine; but, the gas velocity will vary depending upon the design and flow characteristics of each section of the engine.

JBA said:
The mass flow is the same throughout the engine; but, the gas velocity will vary depending upon the design and flow characteristics of each section of the engine.
so what will be the mass flow rate through the fan for gas turbine of 50mw ...

Please describe the engine configuration and and show us your design calculations .

Simple single shaft gas turbine one compressor , one turbine . T1 COMPRESSOR inlet=288K,T2 combustor inlet=792.70K,T3 combustor outlet=1500K,T4 turbine outlet=733.50K, same points like pressure P1=101 kpa, P2=1800 kpa , p 3 = 1800 kpa , P4= 101 kpa ... compressor efficiency = 0.88 , combustion chamber eff = 0.98, turbine eff = 0.9, mechanical efficiency = 0.98 . finally turbine output power is = 50 Mw .. here i need mass flow rate for all stages like M1 = compressor mass flow rate,M2 = combustor mass flow rate ,M3 = turbine mass flow rate ,Mf =Mass flow rate of fuel ?

If you don't know the mass flow at the power turbine, how did you determine the turbine output power to be 50 mW?

You have all the data in the problem statement to compute power output / unit mass flow rate and then find out flow rate to achieve 50MW.

1. What is the formula for calculating mass flow rate?

The formula for calculating mass flow rate is mass flow rate = power / specific enthalpy.

2. How do you convert power into mass flow rate?

To convert power into mass flow rate, you need to know the specific enthalpy of the fluid. Then, use the formula mass flow rate = power / specific enthalpy.

3. What is the unit of measurement for mass flow rate?

The unit of measurement for mass flow rate is kg/s (kilograms per second).

4. Is 50MW a typical power output for a system?

It depends on the system. 50MW is a fairly large power output and is commonly seen in power plants or large industrial processes.

5. Can the mass flow rate be higher than the power output?

No, the mass flow rate cannot be higher than the power output. The mass flow rate is dependent on the power output and the specific enthalpy of the fluid being used.