How Do You Calculate Seismic Moment for Major Earthquakes?

In summary: One is in N*m, and the other is in dyne-cm.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the seismic moment, M_o, for two earthquakes - the great Sumatra earthquake of late 2004 and a large aftershock in early 2005. The equation used for this calculation is M_w = 2/3*log(M_o)-6.0, where log = log base 10. The speaker provides their attempt at a solution for the second earthquake and converts the answer from N*m to dyne-cm. However, there is a discrepancy between their answer and the answer stated in the provided report. The speaker notes that there are different versions for the appropriate units and mentions that these are approximate
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The great Sumatra earthquake of late 2004 had a main shock with an M_w magnitude of 9.1 and a large aftershock in early 2005 had an M_w of 8.6.
Calculate the seismic moment, M_o (energy release) of each earthquake.

Homework Equations

M_w = 2/3*log(M_o)-6.0
Where log = log base 10.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is really an easy calculation. Let's analyze the second earthquake.

3/2(8.6+6.0)=log(M_o)
21.9=ln(M_o)/ln(10)
e^(ln(10)21.9)=M_o
M_o = 7.943*10^21 N*m

Now, if we convert it to dyne-cm, we times it by 10*7. So we get 7.943*10^28 dyne-cm.

However, this report here: http://ceeserver.cee.cornell.edu/pll-group/doc/March_28_2005_Tsunami.pdf
States the answer should have been 1.1*10^29 dyne-cm

Did I do something wrong in my calculation?
Also note that there is serious issues with the equation. I have found many different values used instead of "6.0" and I have no idea which one is right. I am using the 'relevant' equation that I found in the notes/book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
These are approximate things, so I would not put too much weight to the discrepancy.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent. Thank you for the help.

I also found that there are two different versions for the appropriate units.

Related to How Do You Calculate Seismic Moment for Major Earthquakes?

1. What is seismic moment and why is it important?

Seismic moment is a measure of the size, strength, and energy released during an earthquake. It is calculated using the earthquake's magnitude, the rigidity of the Earth's crust, and the area of the fault that ruptured. Seismic moment is important because it provides valuable information about the earthquake's potential damage and can help scientists understand the Earth's structure and dynamics.

2. How is seismic moment calculated?

Seismic moment is calculated using the moment magnitude formula, which takes into account the seismic moment, the rigidity of the Earth's crust, and the length and width of the fault that ruptured. This formula is represented as M0 = μSdA, where M0 is the seismic moment, μ is the rigidity, S is the average slip over the fault surface, and dA is the area of the fault.

3. What is the difference between seismic moment and earthquake magnitude?

Seismic moment and earthquake magnitude are both measures of an earthquake's strength, but they are calculated differently. Seismic moment takes into account the size of the fault that ruptured, while earthquake magnitude is based on the amplitude of seismic waves recorded on a seismograph. Additionally, seismic moment is a more accurate measure of an earthquake's energy release, while earthquake magnitude can vary depending on the location of the seismograph.

4. How does the calculation of seismic moment help predict future earthquakes?

By calculating the seismic moment of past earthquakes, scientists can better understand the potential for future earthquakes in a particular region. This information can help with earthquake hazard assessments and preparedness efforts. Additionally, by monitoring changes in seismic moment over time, scientists can track the buildup of stress on faults and potentially predict when and where future earthquakes may occur.

5. Can seismic moment be used to measure all types of earthquakes?

Seismic moment can be used to measure most types of earthquakes, including those caused by both natural processes and human activities. However, it may not accurately measure very small or shallow earthquakes, as the moment magnitude formula assumes a certain level of rupture depth and fault size. In these cases, other measures such as peak ground acceleration may be used instead.