How Do You Calculate DeltaG for a Reaction at Non-Standard Pressures?

In summary, to calculate DeltaG for the reaction H2(g) + I2(g) <-> 2HI(g) at 699 K with the reagents at 10.0 atm and the product at 1.97 atm, you can use the equation G=G(degree) +RT ln(P) and construct a hypothetical pathway from 10 atm to 1.97 atm. By calculating DeltaG for each step of the pathway and summing them, the final answer should be -42.1 kJ.
CarbonWater

Homework Statement

At 699 K, DeltaG (degree)=-23.25kJ for the reaction H2(g) + I2(g) <-> 2HI(g). Calculate DeltaG for this reaction if the reagents are both supplied at 10.0 atm pressure and the product is at 1.97 pressure.

Homework Equations

I believe this is the relevant equation
G=G(degree) +RT ln(P)

The Attempt at a Solution

G=-23.25kJ + 0.082 *(699+273) * ln (11.97)

but the answer is -42.1 kJ. I tried using 20, 10, and 1.97 atm and it still doesn't work. :-/

Physics news on Phys.org
Since Gibbs energy is a state property, you can try constructing a hypothetical pathway from your reactants at 10 atm to your products at 1.97 atm. You should calculate [tex]\Delta G[/tex] for each step of the pathway and then sum them.

I think the most obvious pathway looks something like this:

2 mol reactants (10 atm) ----> 2 mol reactants (1 atm)
2 mol reactants (1 atm) ----> 2 mol products (1 atm)
2 mol products (1 atm) ----> 2 mol products (1.97 atm)

So you will need to calculate [tex]\Delta G[/tex] for each of those steps.

Related to How Do You Calculate DeltaG for a Reaction at Non-Standard Pressures?

1. What is Delta Free Energy?

Delta Free Energy, also known as ΔG, is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the amount of energy available in a chemical reaction. It takes into account the change in both enthalpy (ΔH) and entropy (ΔS) of a system.

2. How is Delta Free Energy calculated?

The formula for calculating ΔG is ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where T is the temperature in Kelvin. ΔH is typically calculated using bond energies and ΔS is calculated using the change in the number of moles of gas or the change in entropy for a liquid or solid. These values can then be substituted into the formula to find ΔG.

3. What is the significance of Delta Free Energy?

Delta Free Energy is important because it determines whether a chemical reaction is spontaneous or not. If ΔG is negative, the reaction is spontaneous and can occur without outside energy input. If ΔG is positive, the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not occur without an input of energy.

4. How does temperature affect Delta Free Energy?

The value of ΔG is directly affected by temperature. As temperature increases, the value of ΔS increases and the value of ΔG decreases. This means that a reaction that is non-spontaneous at lower temperatures may become spontaneous at higher temperatures.

5. What is the relationship between Delta Free Energy and equilibrium?

At equilibrium, the value of ΔG is equal to 0. This means that the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at equal rates and there is no net change in the system. If ΔG is negative, the reaction will proceed toward equilibrium in the forward direction. If ΔG is positive, the reaction will proceed toward equilibrium in the reverse direction.