Calculation of the running coupling

In summary, the beta function is defined as \beta(\lambda)=M\frac{d}{dM}\lambda. After making the substitution t=ln(p/M), the equation becomes \beta(\lambda)=-\frac{d}{dt}\lambda. Using the QED beta function \beta(e)=\frac{e^3}{12\pi^3} and e(p=M)=e_0, the result is e=\frac{e_0}{1+(3e_0/16\pi^2)log(p/M)}, which is incorrect. The integration process was incorrect due to a mistake in the bounds of the integral. The correct result is e(p)^2 = \frac{ e(M)^2
Trifis
The beta function is defined as:

[tex]\beta(\lambda)=M\frac{d}{dM}\lambda[/tex]

If we make the substitution [itex]t=ln(p/M)[/itex] the above equation becomes:

[tex]\beta(\lambda)=-\frac{d}{dt}\lambda[/tex]

Now if we use e.g. the QED beta function

[tex]\beta(e)=\frac{e^3}{12\pi^3}[/tex]

and for [itex]e(p=M)=e_0[/itex] the result is

[tex]e=\frac{e_0}{1+(3e_0/16\pi^2)log(p/M)}[/tex]

which is clearly false.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there must be some mistake in your integration. I would compute
$$ \int_{e(p)}^{e(M)} \frac{ de}{e^3} = \int_p^M \frac{1}{12\pi^2} \frac{dM}{M}$$
to find
$$ e(p)^2 = \frac{ e(M)^2}{1 + \frac{e(M)^2}{6\pi^2} \ln \frac{M}{p}},$$
which seems to have the behavior we ordinarily associate with QED.

Likes bhobba
I've made some typing errors.

The integration after introducing the new variable [itex]t=\ln{(p/M)}[/itex] is:

[tex]\frac{de}{dt}=-\frac{e^3}{12\pi^2}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{e(p)}^{e(M)} \frac{ de}{e^3} = -\frac{1}{12\pi^2} \int_{\ln{(p/M)}}^0 dt[/tex]

which yields the final result

[tex]e(p)^2 = \frac{ e(M)^2}{1 + \frac{e(M)^2}{6\pi^2} \ln \frac{p}{M}}[/tex]

The only disagreement between the two results that I was referring to in my original post is the wrong sign in the denominator.

It took me a couple of tries to realize it, but the problem is in the bounds on your integral. We start with
$$ I = \int_{M'=p}^{M' = M} \frac{dM'}{M'},$$
so when you change variables to ##t= \ln p/M'##, then
$$ I = - \int_0^{\ln p/M} dt.$$

Likes bhobba
You are right, I was thinking about p as the integral variable, but it was M' instead. Thanks for clearing this out!

Likes bhobba

1. What is the running coupling in physics?

The running coupling is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory that describes the strength of the interaction between particles. It is a dynamic quantity that changes with the energy scale at which the particles are interacting.

2. How is the running coupling calculated?

The running coupling is typically calculated using a method called perturbative expansion, which involves solving a series of equations to approximate the coupling at different energy scales. This can be a complex and iterative process, but it allows for precise calculations of the coupling at different energies.

3. What is the significance of the running coupling in particle physics?

The running coupling is important because it helps us understand how particles interact at different energy scales. It also plays a critical role in determining the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators.

4. How does the running coupling differ from the fixed coupling?

The fixed coupling is a constant value that is used in certain simplified calculations, while the running coupling varies with the energy scale. The fixed coupling is often used as an approximation of the running coupling at a specific energy scale, but it does not accurately describe the behavior of particles at all energy scales.

5. Can the running coupling be experimentally measured?

Yes, the running coupling can be indirectly measured through experiments that involve colliding particles at different energy levels. By comparing the results of these experiments with theoretical predictions, scientists can determine the value of the running coupling at a particular energy scale.