Calculations involving torque

In summary, the problem is how to calculate the torque on a Multi Lobe Torque Ring (MLT Ring) installed inside a casing/tubing threaded for an oil well. The reference equation for the torque of the casing/tubing is different from the equation needed for the MLT ring, which also takes into account the geometry and friction between the ring and the casing/tubing. The friction force can be determined by multiplying the normal force and the coefficient of friction, and then multiplying by the radius of the MLT ring. The material and dimensions of the MLT ring are also provided.
Rizkyffq
Homework Statement
For Project
Relevant Equations
Torque Equation
Hello guys, i need some enlightenment (help) to solve this problem :H, maybe someone here have mastered physics or engineering can help me to break this problem !
I already tried to seek the answer, but i face dead end and really frustating because of it o_O .
414141.jpg

So the problem is "how to get calculation / equation for calculate torque (delta torque) on "Multi Lobe Torque Ring (MLT Ring)" as picture above.

Name of thing above is MLT Ring "blue coloured", it is installed inside Casing/Tubing threaded for oil well, and the main function of this ring is to boost value of torque on Casing/Tubing, so it can endure more torque with it.
From that explanation we know that there two kind of torque on it, torque of the casing/tubing threaded and torque of ring.
The reference/book that designed/made/fabricated this "MLT Ring" is just explaining how they get number of ring torque in very common,

1414141.jpg

Different with torque of Casing/Tubing, it has reference equation to get exact number of it torque,

wewe.jpg

adada.jpg

Above is equation to get torque of casing/tubing, initially i think this equation will be the same equation to calculating how much torque on ring because as you see, between ring and casing/tubing they are connected in one line, but i tried and it is not same as the table.
In this book also has already table of both torque, for casing/tubing and ring but what i need is the exact explanation or philosophy why they get that number, from where ?

131313.jpg

Material of ring : L-80 (yield strength 80.000 psi)
OD : 2-3/8"
ID: in the table

Maybe someone here want to help me to solve it :angel:
If you have any question because of this post unclear explanation/any deeper definition, free to ask :wink:
414141.jpg

Attachments

• TESCO MLT Torque Table.pdf
    785.7 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks & Regards !The equation you provided is the correct equation to calculate the torque of the casing/tubing. To calculate the torque of the MLT ring, you need to consider the geometry of the ring and the friction between the ring and the casing/tubing. The friction force can be determined by multiplying the normal force (due to the weight of the ring) by the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces. Once you have the friction force, you can calculate the torque of the MLT ring by multiplying the force by the radius of the MLT ring.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of a force's ability to cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

2. What are the units of torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meter (Nm). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as foot-pound (ft-lb) or pound-force-foot (lb-ft).

3. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object. In other words, the greater the torque applied, the faster the object will rotate and vice versa.

4. What factors affect the torque of an object?

The torque of an object is affected by the magnitude of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force, and the angle at which the force is applied.

5. How can torque be calculated for a system of multiple forces?

To calculate the overall torque for a system of multiple forces, you can use the principle of vector addition. First, calculate the torque for each individual force and then add them together to get the total torque for the system.