1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus - Derivative

1. Sep 28, 2003 #1
    find the value of the derivative of f(x)=-2(x-3)^2 at the point (2,-2)

I am a little confused as to why they give you a point... how can I solve this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Basically, they just gave you an extra, useless bit of information. (Though that extra bit of information will be essential in problems in later sections)

They just want f'(2) and are telling you that f(2) = -2.
  4. Sep 28, 2003 #3
    ahh, tricky tricky :) Thanks hurkyl
  5. Sep 29, 2003 #4
    f'(x) = -4(x-3)

f'(2) = -4(2-3)
    f'(2) = 4

4 is the derivative of f(x) at point x=2 which is also THE SLOPE
    and if you have a point (2,-2) and a SLOPE gives you an equation, which is the equation of the tangent line at that point. Tangent is same thing as Derivative except that in the derivative they are too lazy to write an equation for that line, they only put the slope :wink:

I hope that helps, don't hate me too much if i'm confusing you :wink:
  6. Oct 5, 2003 #5
    or you can use teh "good" old lim h~~>0 f(x+deltax)-f(x)/ delta x...in your case f(x)=-2(x-3)^3 ....or you can use the power rule for all functions cx^2=2cx
  7. Oct 23, 2003 #6

That just takes too long
  8. Oct 23, 2003 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please don't write nonsense: cx^2 is NOT equal to 2 cx. Yes, I know what you MEANT but that was what you wrote. Also the power rule does not apply to "all functions".
  9. Oct 23, 2003 #8
    ok mr smart ass
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?