Calculus II question, prove ∫ ≤ 14/3 without evaluating the integral

In summary, the function does not stay below the line drawn at (x=0, y=1) and so the integral is not less than 14/3.
dillon131222

Homework Statement

Show that ∫(0,3) √(x+e^-x)dx ≤ 14/3 (hint: do not attempt to evaluate the integral)when looking at the integral from 0 to 3 on the graph I can see that this is true, but not sure how to go about showing this without evaluating the integral, any help as to how to go about this would be great.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know how exactly they want you to solve this, but you can find functions that are greater than your's in the integration interval.
For example:
√(x+e^-x) ≤ √3 in (0,2) and √(x+e^-x) ≤ √4 in (2,3).
So ∫(0,3) √(x+e^-x)dx ≤ 2√3+2
This bounding is awful but I think it's useful as example.

Find the maximum value of the function on the interval and multiply that by the interval length, tat is the maximum possible value for the integral (the upper bound). Try that and let us know how it goes.

I think you will have good luck by overestimating the ##e^{-x}## and evaluating the resulting integral.

TheForce said:
Find the maximum value of the function on the interval and multiply that by the interval length, tat is the maximum possible value for the integral (the upper bound). Try that and let us know how it goes.

so find the maximum value of √(x+e-x) and multiply by the interval length of 3?

the function is increasing from [0,3] so max is at position 3, √(3+e-3 ≈ 1.7464, 1.7464x3 ≈ 5.2391, which is greater than 14/3 so guessing I'm doing something wrong for your suggestion?

gonna attempt the other suggestions now

SqueeSpleen said:
I don't know how exactly they want you to solve this, but you can find functions that are greater than your's in the integration interval.
For example:
√(x+e^-x) ≤ √3 in (0,2) and √(x+e^-x) ≤ √4 in (2,3).
So ∫(0,3) √(x+e^-x)dx ≤ 2√3+2
This bounding is awful but I think it's useful as example.

need to show that the integral is ≤ 14/3, so don't see how showing that its ≤ 2√3+2 which = 5.46 helps(?) or am i misunderstanding?

LCKurtz said:
I think you will have good luck by overestimating the e-x and evaluating the resulting integral.

not sure what you mean by overestimating e-x

really not sure what's wanted for this question, not very good at this yet :/ I am just starting to understand the basics of integrals right now

dillon131222 said:
need to show that the integral is ≤ 14/3, so don't see how showing that its ≤ 2√3+2 which = 5.46 helps(?) or am i misunderstanding?
You have found a rather crude bound by drawing a horizontal line at ##y = \sqrt{3 + e^{-3}}##. But the function value is much smaller at ##x = 0##: ##\sqrt{0 + e^0} = 1##. Try taking advantage of that fact, for example, by drawing a line from the point ##(x=0, y=1)## to ##(x = 3, y=\sqrt{3 + e^{-3}})##. Does your function stay below that line? If so, that will give you a smaller bound.

You could always compare your integral to something else since it's not integrable by elementary means, but this question is odd as is.

I was thinking that you should bound your integral with an easier integral to evaluate which is bigger, but still less than or equal to 14/3.

So since the bigger integral would evaluate easily to something nice and the value was less than 14/3, it would imply your integral was also less than 14/3.

dillon131222 said:
need to show that the integral is ≤ 14/3...
not sure what you mean by overestimating e-x

What is the largest value ##e^{-x}## attains on [0,3]? Overestimate the integral by replacing ##e^{-x}## with that largest value. It will give you a simpler integral you can work.

jbunniii said:
You have found a rather crude bound by drawing a horizontal line at ##y = \sqrt{3 + e^{-3}}##. But the function value is much smaller at ##x = 0##: ##\sqrt{0 + e^0} = 1##. Try taking advantage of that fact, for example, by drawing a line from the point ##(x=0, y=1)## to ##(x = 3, y=\sqrt{3 + e^{-3}})##. Does your function stay below that line? If so, that will give you a smaller bound.

dont understand how to find a bound, isn't the integral bound from 0 to 3?

LCKurtz said:
What is the largest value ##e^{-x}## attains on [0,3]? Overestimate the integral by replacing ##e^{-x}## with that largest value. It will give you a simpler integral you can work.

I see, that worked perfectly and much simpler, thank you so much :D

1. What is the purpose of proving the inequality ∫ ≤ 14/3 without evaluating the integral?

The purpose of proving this inequality is to demonstrate a fundamental concept in Calculus II, which is the comparison between the area under a curve and a specific value. This proof also helps to solidify understanding of integration and its applications.

2. How does one go about proving this inequality without evaluating the integral?

To prove this inequality, one can use various methods such as the comparison test, the limit comparison test, or the integral test. These methods involve comparing the given integral to a known integral with a known value, and using properties of integrals to show that the given integral is less than or equal to the known value.

3. Can this inequality be proven for any type of function or only specific types?

This inequality can be proven for any continuous function on the given interval, as long as the function is non-negative. This includes polynomial functions, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and more.

4. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of integration techniques to prove this inequality?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of integration techniques to prove this inequality. However, a basic understanding of integration and its properties is helpful in understanding the proof and being able to follow the steps.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proving this inequality?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of proving this inequality. For example, it can be used to approximate the value of a definite integral without having to evaluate it directly. It can also be used in economics and physics to calculate quantities such as work, volume, and area. Additionally, it is an important concept in optimization problems where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.