Calculus Problem: Simplifying xln(2x+1)-x+1/2ln(2x+1)+C

• Thread starter Stevecgz
  • Start date
In summary, simplifying an expression in calculus makes solving and understanding complex equations easier. To simplify an expression involving natural logarithms, we use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. The constant "C" is included in the expression as the constant of integration, representing all possible lost values during integration. While it is possible to solve without using logarithm properties, it is more efficient to use them. To check if a simplified expression is correct, one can plug in different values for "x" and compare the results to the original expression.
Stevecgz
In the solutions manual to my calculus text I don't understand how they are simplifying the following:

[tex]x\ln(2x+1)-x+\frac 1 2 \ln(2x+1)+C[/tex]

to...

[tex]\frac 1 2 (2x+1)\ln(2x+1) -x +C[/tex]

If someone could explain to me how they are simplifying this it would be appreciated.

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
First let's group

[tex]x\ln(2x+1)+\frac{1}{2} \ln(2x+1)-x+C[/tex]

Factor the [itex] \ln(2x+1) [/itex]

[tex]\ln(2x+1)(x +\frac{1}{2})-x+C[/tex]

Multiply by [itex] \frac{2}{2} [/itex]

[tex]\ln(2x+1) \frac{2}{2} (x +\frac{1}{2})-x+C[/tex]

[tex]\ln(2x+1) \frac{1}{2} (2x +\frac{2}{2})-x+C[/tex]

[tex]\ln(2x+1) \frac{1}{2} (2x + 1)-x+C[/tex]

Thank you much Cyclovenom, I understand now.

Steve

1. What is the purpose of simplifying an expression in calculus?

Simplifying an expression in calculus allows us to manipulate and solve complex equations more easily. It also helps us to better understand the underlying concepts and relationships within the equation.

2. How do I simplify an expression involving natural logarithms?

To simplify an expression involving natural logarithms, we use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. In this specific problem, we can use the property ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b) to break up the expression into smaller parts and simplify each part separately.

3. Why is the constant "C" included in the expression?

The constant "C" is known as the constant of integration and is included in the expression because when we integrate a function, we lose information about the initial value of the function. So, the constant "C" represents all possible values that could have been lost during the integration process.

4. Can I solve this problem without using the properties of logarithms?

Yes, it is possible to solve this problem without using the properties of logarithms. However, it will likely be more complicated and time-consuming to do so. The properties of logarithms make the process much simpler and more efficient.

5. How can I check if my simplified expression is correct?

You can check if your simplified expression is correct by plugging in different values for "x" and comparing the results to the original expression. If the values are equal, then your simplified expression is most likely correct.