How Do You Calculate the Specific Heat Capacity of an Unknown Substance?

• Thread starter physicsnerd7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calorimeter
In summary: So the second answer is probably wrong.In summary, the problem involves a copper calorimeter cup containing water and an unknown substance. The specific heat capacity of the unknown substance is to be found using the equation Qreleased + Qabsorbed = 0. By considering the effect of the copper cup, the specific heat capacity is calculated to be 2059 J/kgC. A previous attempt without considering the copper cup resulted in an incorrect value of 1715.06 J/kgC.
physicsnerd7

Homework Statement

A copper calorimeter cup with a mass of 0.27 kg contains 0.125 kg of water. At 17°C. If 95g of an unknown substance at 93°C is placed into the cup, the temperature increases to 35°C. Find the specific heat capacity of the unknown substance.

Homework Equations

Qreleased + Qabsorbed = 0
Q = mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

So i did:
-Qunknown substance (us) = Qwater + Qcup

- muscus (Tf us - Ti us) = mww cw (Tfw- Tiw )+ mc cc (Tfc-Tic)

-(0.095kg) cus (35 C - 93C) = (0.125 kg) (4.2E3 J/kgC) (35 C -17C) + (0.27 kg)(3.9E2 J/kgC) (35C-17C)

cs = ((0.125 kg) (4.2E3 J/kgC) (35 C -17C) + (0.27 kg)(3.9E2 J/kgC) (35C-17C)) / -(0.095kg)(35 C - 93C)

cs= 11345.5 / 5.51

cs = 2059 J/kgC

Okay so that is my answer (2059 J/kgC)and I would just like clarification if my answer is right because before i did it a different way and didnt inlcude the copper cup in the Qabsorbed so i got this :

- muscus (Tf us - Ti us) = mww cw (Tfw- Tiw )

-(0.095kg) cus (35 C - 93C) = (0.125 kg) (4.2E3 J/kgC) (35 C -17C)

cs= ((0.125 kg) (4.2E3 J/kgC) (35 C -17C)) / -(0.095kg)(35 C - 93C)

cs= 1715.06J/kgC

I believe this answer is wrong! but i don't know!

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your answer but it's reasonable to include the effect of the copper cup.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a calorimeter cup problem?

A calorimeter cup problem is a scientific experiment that involves measuring the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical change. This is typically done by using a device called a calorimeter, which is a container that can accurately measure the change in temperature of a substance.

2. How does a calorimeter cup work?

A calorimeter cup works by using the principle of energy conservation. It is designed to minimize the amount of heat that is lost to the surroundings and accurately measure the change in temperature of the substance inside. This allows scientists to calculate the amount of heat released or absorbed during a reaction or physical change.

3. What are the different types of calorimeter cups?

There are two main types of calorimeter cups - constant pressure and constant volume. A constant pressure calorimeter cup is designed to measure the change in enthalpy of a reaction at constant pressure, while a constant volume calorimeter cup is used to measure the change in internal energy of a reaction at constant volume.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a calorimeter cup?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a calorimeter cup, including heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete reactions, and measurement errors. It is important for scientists to carefully control and account for these factors in order to get accurate results from a calorimeter cup experiment.

5. What are some real-world applications of the calorimeter cup problem?

The calorimeter cup problem has many real-world applications, including determining the energy content of food, measuring the efficiency of engines, and studying the effects of different materials on the environment. It is also an important tool in the development of new and more efficient energy sources.