Can a 66kg Person Sit on a 24kg Table Without Tipping?

• Thread starter ajcoelho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics problem of determining how close a 66kg person can sit to the edge of a 24kg table without tipping it over. The question is raised about using the normal reaction from the farther support when calculating total torque, and it is explained that this reaction force is zero because as long as the total reaction force from the floor goes through the base of the table, it will not tip. The tipping point is when the resultant reaction force reaches the edge of the base, at which point the individual reaction forces through the farther legs will be zero.
ajcoelho
This is a very well known physics problem and i already know how to solve it.

How close to the edge of a 24kg table can a 66kg person sit without tipping it over?

I think everybody can see the table and what's happening in there.

MY QUESTION IS:

Why don't we use the normal reaction due to the farther suportting?? I mean, when we calculate total torque about one supporting, we still have the other support in which there's a reaction force ating. And i think this force is as legitimate as the gravity forces of the table and person...

I would be really glad with any answer trying to explain why is this approximation made or if I'm completely wrong in my reasoning!

Take care!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ajcoelho! :smile:
ajcoelho said:
Why don't we use the normal reaction due to the farther suportting??

because it's zero! :biggrin:

so long as the total reaction force from the floor (the resultant of the reaction forces from the four legs) goes through the base of the table (the rectangle with the legs at the corners), the table will not tip

the table will only start to tip when the resultant reaction force goes through the edge of the base

when that happens, the individual reaction forces through the farther legs will be zero :wink:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
the table will only start to tip when the resultant reaction force goes through the edge of the base

when you say edge of the base you're referring to the supporting that has become a "pivot"?

yes, when the reaction force reaches the edge, the tip will start about that edge as pivot :smile:

Likes 1 person

I would like to address your question about using the normal reaction force from the farther supporting as a part of the calculation for the tipping point of the table and person. The reason why this is not included in the calculation is because it does not contribute to the torque on the system.

When we calculate the tipping point of the table and person, we are determining the point at which the torque from the person's weight is equal to the torque from the table's weight. The normal reaction force from the farther supporting does not create any torque because it acts perpendicular to the surface of the table. Therefore, it does not play a role in determining the tipping point.

Additionally, when we consider the stability of a system, we only need to consider the forces and torques that are acting on the system. The normal reaction force from the farther supporting is an external force that is not acting on the system itself, but rather on the supporting structure. Therefore, it is not relevant in determining the tipping point of the table and person.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify why the normal reaction force from the farther supporting is not included in the calculation for the tipping point. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. Can a 66kg person sit on a 24kg table without tipping?

The answer to this question depends on various factors such as the dimensions and stability of the table, the distribution of weight on the table, and the center of gravity of the person sitting on the table. In general, a 66kg person may be able to sit on a 24kg table without tipping if the weight is evenly distributed and the table is stable.

2. How do you determine if a table is stable enough to support a person's weight?

To determine the stability of a table, you can use the concept of center of gravity. The center of gravity of the person sitting on the table should be within the base of the table. If the center of gravity falls outside the base, the table may tip over. Additionally, the legs of the table should be sturdy enough to support the weight placed on it.

3. Can the weight distribution on the table affect its stability?

Yes, the weight distribution on the table can significantly affect its stability. If the weight is not evenly distributed, the center of gravity may shift, causing the table to tip over. It is essential to evenly distribute weight on the table to ensure its stability.

4. What are some ways to make a table more stable?

There are a few ways to make a table more stable. Adding weight to the base of the table can lower its center of gravity and make it less likely to tip over. Additionally, reinforcing the legs of the table or using a wider base can also increase stability. Choosing a table with a lower center of gravity and a sturdy construction can also help prevent tipping.

5. Is there a weight limit for a person to sit on a table without tipping?

There is no specific weight limit for a person to sit on a table without tipping. The stability of the table depends on various factors, as discussed earlier. However, it is generally recommended to follow weight limits specified by the manufacturer and ensure even weight distribution on the table to prevent tipping.