Can a molecular dynamics simulation enter a limit cycle?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Molecular Dynamics with Classical Newtonian mechanics, which is a 6N dimensional nonlinear system due to the presence of force fields. It was also mentioned that this system has the potential to exhibit chaos and the possibility of entering a periodic attractor. The conversation also referenced a link to Google Books showing an example of a limit cycle in the case that the method used is not symplectic.
dexterdev
In my rough understanding Molecular Dynamics using Classical Newtonian mechanics is a 6N dimensional non linear system. 6N dimension because you have 3 position vectors and 3 momentum vectors for each N particles. Nonlinearity because of the terms in force fields. In principle this system can exhibit chaos. Also is there any small probability such that the system enters a periodic attractor ?

Likes MisterX
Physics news on Phys.org
Great question, I'll have to think about it.

Upon searching some stuff to refresh my mind I stumbled on a cross-post at stackexchange
This does give me some more info.

I found this link to google books which at least for me shows an example of a limit cycle in the case that your method isn't symplectic ("almost energy conserving" if you like to look at it that way).

Likes dexterdev
JorisL said:
Upon searching some stuff to refresh my mind I stumbled on a cross-post at stackexchange

That is my question at physics.SE.

Related to Can a molecular dynamics simulation enter a limit cycle?

1. What is a molecular dynamics simulation?

A molecular dynamics simulation is a computational technique used to study the behavior of atoms and molecules over time. It involves the use of physical laws and equations to simulate the motion and interactions of particles in a system.

2. Can a molecular dynamics simulation enter a limit cycle?

Yes, a molecular dynamics simulation can enter a limit cycle. This occurs when the system reaches a steady state in which the particles continue to move in a repeating pattern, rather than reaching equilibrium.

3. What factors can influence a molecular dynamics simulation entering a limit cycle?

Several factors can influence the occurrence of a limit cycle in a molecular dynamics simulation, including the initial conditions of the system, the potential energy function used, and the time step size in the simulation. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also play a role.

4. How can the presence of a limit cycle in a molecular dynamics simulation be identified?

The presence of a limit cycle in a molecular dynamics simulation can be identified by monitoring the behavior of the system over time. A repeating pattern in the positions and velocities of the particles indicates the presence of a limit cycle. Additionally, the energy of the system may also show a periodic behavior.

5. What are the potential implications of a limit cycle in a molecular dynamics simulation?

The presence of a limit cycle in a molecular dynamics simulation can have important implications for understanding the behavior of the system. It can indicate the presence of stable structures or patterns that may not be apparent in a traditional equilibrium simulation. Additionally, it can help identify potential pathways for chemical reactions or molecular transformations.