Can anybody correct me if I'm wrong?

• Thread starter Dembie
  • Start date
In summary, the electron exchange between the semiconductors has more to do with the fact that the electrons doesn't simply move to atoms with umcompensated charge (wich they do) they move to atoms that need an electron to complete theyr bonds with other atoms. And when electrons flow to the p region there are many of those atoms. However, the donnor ions have 4 more vallence electrons which is more than enough to complete theyr bonds with the Si atoms. And that's why current doesn't flow.
Dembie

Homework Statement

When pn junction is reverse biased, the depletion layer grows and no current flows except for the little reverse current.

Homework Equations

But acceptor aions have one electron that they can spare if you give it a little energy, and that electron could be attracted from the field of the donnor ions. But why that kinda doesn't happen?

The Attempt at a Solution

Thats my statement: even though it appears that atoms from the N region have lost an electron and now in that place can go another, that electron exchange between the semiconductors have more to do with The fact that the electrons doesn't simply move to atoms with umcompensated charge (wich they do) they move to atoms that need an electron to complete theyr bonds with other atoms. And when electrons flow to the p region there are many of those atoms. But the donnor ions have 4 more vallence electrons which is more than enough to complete theyr bonds with the Si atoms. And that's why i think current doesn't flow. Becouse the holes in the P region have more '' weight'' on these free electrons than the uncompensared +charge on the N region. Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dembie said:

Homework Statement

When pn junction is reverse biased, the depletion layer grows and no current flows except for the little reverse current.

Homework Equations

But acceptor aions have one electron that they can spare if you give it a little energy, and that electron could be attracted from the field of the donnor ions. But why that kinda doesn't happen?

The Attempt at a Solution

Thats my statement: even though it appears that atoms from the N region have lost an electron and now in that place can go another, that electron exchange between the semiconductors have more to do with The fact that the electrons doesn't simply move to atoms with umcompensated charge (wich they do) they move to atoms that need an electron to complete theyr bonds with other atoms. And when electrons flow to the p region there are many of those atoms. But the donnor ions have 4 more vallence electrons which is more than enough to complete theyr bonds with the Si atoms. And that's why i think current doesn't flow. Becouse the holes in the P region have more '' weight'' on these free electrons than the uncompensared +charge on the N region. Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

What's an "acceptor aion"? Ions have nothing to do with semiconductors...

berkeman said:
What's an "acceptor aion"? Ions have nothing to do with semiconductors...
When electron from N region fall into one of the holes in P region, the atop that accepyed that electron now has one external electron which give him negative charge(that atom becomes ionized and becouse it accepts one electron it is called acceptor ion. And the atom that gaved that eectron now hos one less electron (its positive charged and its called donor ion.

Hey, can anybody help me, I am trying to figure that out from weeks. Since on the N side of the junction donor ions are building (positive charge is building) why can't that field just attract the electrons from the acceptor ions( the same electrons that gaved the atoms from the P region their negative charge) What is happening there?? I can't proceed with my electronics without answering that question so i need help, please respond to me i need to figure that out

Related to Can anybody correct me if I'm wrong?

1. Can anybody correct me if I'm wrong?

Yes, anyone can correct you if you're wrong. It's always important to be open to feedback and willing to learn from others.

2. Is it okay to be wrong?

Yes, it is completely okay to be wrong. In fact, being wrong allows us to learn and grow. Embracing mistakes and being open to correction is crucial for personal and professional development.

3. How can I politely correct someone if they are wrong?

The best way to politely correct someone is to approach them in a calm and respectful manner. Use phrases like "I think you may have missed something" or "Have you considered this perspective?" and avoid being confrontational or aggressive.

4. Why is it important to admit when you're wrong?

Admitting when you're wrong shows humility and honesty. It also allows for mistakes to be addressed and corrected, leading to better outcomes and growth. Additionally, admitting when you're wrong can earn the respect and trust of others.

5. How can I avoid being wrong in the future?

One way to avoid being wrong in the future is to do thorough research and fact-checking before making a statement. It's also important to listen to different perspectives and be open to changing your beliefs based on new information. Additionally, continuously learning and being open to feedback can help prevent future mistakes.