Need Help? Solve 2 Physics Problems

• Thread starter spudnick
  • Start date
That's approximately 3.9 or 0.5 seconds.In summary, the highest point in the baseball's path is 17.533 meters and it will take approximately 3.9 or 0.5 seconds to strike the billboard in center field. The muzzle velocity of the rifle bullet was approximately 350.1785m/s.
spudnick
I have two problems that I need help with.

1) A baseball leaves a bat with a velocity of 35 m/s at an angle of 32 degrees. (A) What is the highest point in its path? (B) When will it strike a billboard in center field 8 m above the playing field.

Here's what I have for step (A):
Vf² - Vi²/2a= (0m/s)² - (35m/s)² / 19.6m/s²= -62.5 m

For step (B), would it just be: t=d/v= 8m/35m/s= .229 s ?

2) A rifle bullet is fired in a horizontal direction and strikes the bull's-eye 50m down range. The center of the bull's-eye is 100mm below the rifle's line of sight. What was the muzzle velocity of the bullet?

I don't even know where to begin for this problem.

If anyone can guide me in the right direction for these two problems it would be appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember in your first question, you are only dealing with the Y direction when you are concerned with hieght. You must take sin of the angle. Then go from their.

Nautica

Originally posted by spudnick

1) A baseball leaves a bat with a velocity of 35 m/s at an angle of 32 degrees. (A) What is the highest point in its path? (B) When will it strike a billboard in center field 8 m above the playing field.

For part A, you have to make a formula that is specific to velocity in 1 direction - Y. Just completely ignore the X direction.
Vy = 35sin(32)
Now just fill in one of the formulas you already know.

[tex]V_f^2 = V_i^2 + 2ad[/tex]

[tex]d = \frac{V_f^2 - V_i^2}{2a}[/tex]

[tex]d = \frac{0 - (35sin(32))^2}{2(-9.81)}[/tex]

d = 17.533m <------ highest point

For part B, just fill in that distance formula; using 35sin(32) as the velocity.

[tex]d = V_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

I personally cannot answer this one without cheating and using my graphing calculator... I can't figure out how to isolate t

2) A rifle bullet is fired in a horizontal direction and strikes the bull's-eye 50m down range. The center of the bull's-eye is 100mm below the rifle's line of sight. What was the muzzle velocity of the bullet?

What an intereting question.
Start off by finding the time it took for the bullet to drop that vertical distance. I could probably just use the distance formula but as said before, isolating t is tricky.

[tex]V_f^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad[/tex]

[tex]V_f^2 = 2(9.81)(0.1)[/tex]

Vf = 1.4007m/s

Now find the time it took to get that speed

[tex]V_f = V_i + at[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{V_f - V_i}{a}[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{1.4007}{9.81}[/tex]

t = 0.14278s

Now find horizontal speed

[tex]v = \frac{d}{t}[/tex]

[tex]v = \frac{50}{0.14278}[/tex]

v = 350.1785m/s

That's about 1050ft/s which sounds reasonable for a muzzle velocity.

Last edited:

Originally posted by ShawnD
For part B, just fill in that distance formula; using 35sin(32) as the velocity.

[tex]d = V_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

I personally cannot answer this one without cheating and using my graphing calculator... I can't figure out how to isolate t

You don't know how to solve a quadratic equation?

[tex] d= 8= 35sin(32) t- 4.9t^2[/tex]
[tex] 8= 18.54 t- 4.9t^2[/tex]
[tex] 4.9 t^2- 18.54 t+ 8= 0[/tex]

Use the quadratic formula.

1. How do I approach solving a physics problem?

When solving a physics problem, it is important to first understand the problem and the given information. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Use relevant equations and apply the appropriate principles and laws to solve each part. Finally, check your answer and make sure it is reasonable.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Practice is key to improving problem-solving skills in physics. It is important to not only solve problems but also understand the underlying concepts and principles. Work through a variety of problems, both simple and complex, to develop a better understanding of the subject. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also greatly improve problem-solving skills.

3. What is the best way to check my answer for a physics problem?

The best way to check your answer for a physics problem is to go through the problem again and make sure all the steps and calculations are correct. Also, check if the answer is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem. If possible, try solving the problem using a different method or approach to confirm your answer.

4. Is it important to draw diagrams when solving physics problems?

Yes, drawing diagrams is an important step when solving physics problems. It helps visualize the problem and understand the given information. Diagrams also help in breaking down the problem into smaller parts and applying the relevant concepts and equations.

5. How can I handle difficult or complex physics problems?

When faced with a difficult or complex physics problem, it is important to remain calm and not get overwhelmed. Break down the problem into smaller parts and try to understand the underlying concepts and principles. Use diagrams and make sure to check your answer at each step. Seeking help from a teacher or peer can also be beneficial in solving difficult problems.