Can Constants with Variables Cancel Out to Create a Constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a value with cancelled out variables being considered a constant, as well as the process of creating an equation from proportionality statements. It is determined that the original equation given may be incorrect, as the proportionalities derived do not align with it. Further discussion ensues on the validity of the proportionalities and their support from experimental data.
nedd

Homework Statement

if a value has a variables that cancel out can it be considered a constant?

looking to make an equation out of proportionality statements

Homework Equations

this is the equation that we are supposed to get: f=√((F)/(4∏2mr))

the 3 proportionality where f2=kF , f= k(1/m) and f= k(1/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have reached here : f2= k(F/m2r2)

k being a constant, can its value be : k= (mr)/(4∏2)

so that the values cancel out giving you the required equation?
and would it still be considered a constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
It is possible that a combination of variables will be a constant for the situation at hand.
But that is not the case for your problem.

You are supposed to get to: $$f=\sqrt{ \frac{F}{4\pi^2mr}}\qquad\text{...(1)}$$... (check that - it does not look right to me) from: $$\begin{align}f^2\propto F & \qquad\text{...(2)}\\ f\propto \frac{1}{m} & \qquad\text{...(3)}\\ f\propto \frac{1}{r} & \qquad\text{...(4)} \end{align}$$

You get $$f^2=k\frac{F^2}{m^2r^2}$$ and ask:
k being a constant, can its value be : k= (mr)/(4∏2)
... No - it cannot be.

##k## has to be a constant - I don't expect that the product ##mr## is a constant

You have another step to perform before you put in the constant of proportionality.
You want to find an equation for ##f## and what you have so far is an equation for ##f^2##.
What do you have to do to your equation to turn it into an equation for ##f##?

Edit:
I think I see your problem - which is why I suggest you check the first equation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer!

The first equation gives the magnitude of the force in uniform circular acceleration it was rearranged from: F=4∏2mrf2 this equation i believe is universally known and accepted so i have my doubts that it is wrong

we got the relationships from test result graphs, by using proportionalities I am 90% sure they re correct, the only one that I am questioning right now is f2=kF which also equals f=k√F

and i believe that that the equation you rearranged from the proportionalities was incorrect
it becomes :

f2= k*(F/m2r2)

where the F won't be squared

nedd said:
The first equation gives the magnitude of the force in uniform circular acceleration it was rearranged from: F=4∏2mrf2 this equation i believe is universally known and accepted so i have my doubts that it is wrong

we got the relationships from test result graphs, by using proportionalities I am 90% sure they re correct, the only one that I am questioning right now is f2=kF which also equals f=k√F
Your proportionalities f∝1/m and f∝1/r cannot be right, as is evident from the actual equation.
and i believe that that the equation you rearranged from the proportionalities was incorrect
it becomes :

f2= k*(F/m2r2)

where the F won't be squared
Yes, I think Simon made a typo.

it becomes :

f2= k*(F/m2r2)
...oh yeah - got carried away with the "^2"'s - that's a good catch: it is exceedingly rare that I make a typo at all in these forums ;)

Too late to edit the original - I'll correct it here: $$f^2=k\frac{F}{m^2r^2}$$... better?

BTW: I intended just to copy your work out in a clearer way - I did not do any derivation.Looking at post #2: if (1) is correct an unimpeachable, then (3) and (4) cannot be right.
Should f be squared in both those relations?

If (3) and (4) are relations well supported by your experiment, then your experiment does not support (1). That is an acceptable conclusion.

Not every experiment will support the accepted equations - experiments will conclude by whatever their data supports. How the data got that way in your special case is another issue.

1. What are constants and variables?

Constants and variables are both elements used in mathematical and scientific equations. Constants are values that do not change and remain the same throughout an equation, while variables are values that may change and are represented by letters or symbols.

2. How are constants and variables used in scientific experiments?

Constants are used in scientific experiments to keep certain factors consistent and unchanged, while variables are manipulated or changed to see how they affect the outcome of the experiment.

3. Can constants and variables be used together in an equation?

Yes, constants and variables can be used together in equations. Constants are often used as coefficients or multipliers for variables, and their values may affect the outcome of the equation.

4. What is the importance of using constants and variables in scientific research?

Constants and variables are essential in scientific research as they help to establish cause and effect relationships and provide a basis for comparison. They also allow for accurate and repeatable results in experiments.

5. How can constants and variables be identified in an equation or experiment?

Constants are typically represented by letters or symbols that remain the same throughout the equation or experiment. Variables, on the other hand, are often represented by letters or symbols that can change or be manipulated. They may also be labeled as independent or dependent variables.