Can I simplify this RLC circuit problem using a different method?

In summary, Cloruro de potasio is having trouble solving a problem involving complex impedances and the correct frequency for which the impedance is maximum. He is using LaTeX to try to help him, but is having trouble with the algebra and keeping the parallel and series combinations straight.
Cloruro de potasio
Homework Statement
Given the circuit of Fig. 13-6, with L = 4mH, C=2$\muF$, R1 = 25 ohms, R2 = 40 Ohms. Find the following set of frequencies.

a) where $\omega = 1/\sqrt{LC}$
b) where the impedance is maximum.
c) where the current through R1 is in phase with the generatori voltage.
Relevant Equations
Z = R + i(\omegaL - 1/\omegaC)

Series asociation of Z: $Z_eq = Z_1 + Z_2 + ...$
Association of Z in parallel: $Z_eq^-1 = Z_1^-1 + Z_2^-1 + ...$
Hello,

I have been thinking about this problem for a few hours, and I do not understand how I should proceed to solve it correctly. Section a is very simple, just substitute in the expression that gives us the values of L and C that the statement gives us.

However, when I get to section b, I have encountered the problem that what I have done is calculate the modulus of the equivalent impedance, and from there, try to derive with respect to $ \ omega $, in order to try to find the frequency value for which the impedance is maximum.

However, the expression of Z that remains is very long and complicated, both to calculate its module, and to derive, so I interpret that there must be another way to solve the exercise more easily, which has not occurred to me.

I leave you the figure on which the exercise deals, and the value of impedance that is obtained

Thank you very much in advance and regards
1588207879515.png

1588207928689.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Cloruro de potasio said:
Relevant Equations:: Z = R + i(\omegaL - 1/\omegaC)

Series asociation of Z: $Z_eq = Z_1 + Z_2 + ...$
Association of Z in parallel: $Z_eq^-1 = Z_1^-1 + Z_2^-1 + ...$

I leave you the figure on which the exercise deals, and the value of impedance that is obtained
No, please show your work where you did the algebra to calculate the Z for that simple circuit. Are you having trouble doing the algebra or dealing with the mix of complex impedances or keeping the parallel and series combinations straight? If you show your detailed work, we can try to help you figure it out.

Please use LaTeX when you post your math -- there is a tutorial at the top of the page under INFO/Help. Thank you. :smile:

Thanks again, the associations of impedances if I understand them correctly, and I know how to get to the expression that I have left above, the problem is that when calculating the module of the impedance, and deriving, the expressions that remain on very very long and ugly, and it is practically impossible, to clear the value of the requested frequency. Therefore, I have assumed that this is not the correct way to solve the exercise, I suppose that it will be necessary to make some approximation or some consideration that I cannot see, so that the problem is greatly simplified.

I have not uploaded your photos at work because I have a broken mobile phone, but I can try to ask someone to scan my pages

Cloruro de potasio said:
the problem is that when calculating the module of the impedance, and deriving, the expressions that remain on very very long and ugly, and it is practically impossible, to clear the value of the requested frequency.
The initial expression in the s-domain is not too bad, then substituting s=jω is not much worse, and then finding the real and imaginary parts is still not too bad, IMO. Finding the magnitude of the real part after that is a little messy, but necessary...
Cloruro de potasio said:
I have not uploaded your photos at work because I have a broken mobile phone, but I can try to ask someone to scan my pages
No pictures needed if you just read the LaTeX tutorial and start typing... :smile:

@Cloruro de potasio ,
I see that you did try to use ##LaTeX## to a small degree, particularly in the Homework Statement and Relevant Equations section of the Opening Post. A few tips for ##LaTeX## here at PF.

Rather than using a single $ for a delimiter, PF uses a double $ for stand alone expressions and a double # for inline expressions.

For your Homework Statement, you wrote
Given the circuit of Fig. 13-6, with L = 4mH, C=2$\muF$, R1 = 25 ohms, R2 = 40 Ohms. Find the following set of frequencies.

a) where $\omega = 1/\sqrt{LC}$
c) where the current through R1 is in phase with the generator voltage.
Replacing each dollar sign ( $ ) with a double pound sign ( ## ) gives the following for the Homework Statement.

Given the circuit of Fig. 13-6, with L = 4mH, C=2##\mu F##, R1 = 25 Ohms, R2 = 40 Ohms. Find the following set of frequencies.

a) where ##\omega = 1/\sqrt{LC}##
c) where the current through R1 is in phase with the generator voltage.

Similar modification to your Relevant Equations gives the following.

##Z = R + i(\omega L - 1/\omega C) ##

Series association of Z: ##Z_{eq} = Z_1 + Z_2 + ...##

Association of Z in parallel: ##Z_{eq}^{-1} = Z_1^{-1} + Z_2^{-1} + ...##

Added in Edit:
Note: That last line was entered as follows.
Association of Z in parallel: ##Z_{eq}^{-1} = Z_1^{-1} + Z_2^{-1} + ...## .

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that is composed of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and can be used to create filters, oscillators, and amplifiers in electronic devices.

2. How does an RLC circuit work?

An RLC circuit works by using the properties of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor to control the flow of current in the circuit. The resistor limits the flow of current, the inductor stores energy in a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in an electric field. The combination of these components can create a variety of effects, such as filtering out certain frequencies or creating oscillations.

3. What is the difference between a series and parallel RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, meaning that the same current flows through each component. In a parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, so the voltage across each component can vary. The behavior and applications of series and parallel RLC circuits can differ significantly.

4. How do I calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where f is the resonant frequency in hertz, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula can be used to determine the frequency at which the circuit will have the greatest amplitude of oscillation.

5. What are some common applications of RLC circuits?

RLC circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics, including in filters, oscillators, and amplifiers. They are commonly used in audio equipment, radio and TV receivers, and power supplies. RLC circuits are also used in electronic instruments for measuring voltage, current, and resistance.